This broccoli cheddar soup is rich and creamy with hearty pieces of broccoli and plenty of cheesy flavor! It only takes a few minutes to prepare and you can make this recipe with just a few pantry staples!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups vegetable broth (I like the not-chicken style)
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 oz cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring until the onion is coated with flour.
- Add the broth and broccoli and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer the broccoli for 8-9 minutes until softened.
- Add the milk and cook over low heat until the soup is warm.
- Add the shredded cheese and stir until melted. Be careful not to turn the heat up too high or the milk will curdle.
- Transfer 1 cups of soup to a blender and blend, allowing steam to escape through the vent. Transfer the blended soup back to the pot. Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender to gently blend the soup, slightly.
Keywords: Broccoli Cheddar Soup