I wasn’t going to totally re-do this garlic lentil soup recipe that I found in the Wall Street Journal. I was going to follow it exactly. But… it didn’t really go as planned. To be honest, I felt like the original recipe was really bland. And the lentils started to get dried out. In the end, I halved most of the recipe, but still ended up with the 4-6 servings it said it served. I don’t know, WSJ… maybe you should just stick with news.
But regardless of how it happened, this garlic lentil soup is still super easy to make and is packed with healthy protein and fiber!Print
Garlic Lentil Soup
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Soup
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- Croutons, for garnish (optional)
- Sweat the onions in the olive oil, over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Don’t let the onions turn brown.
- Add in the garlic, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add in the lentils, parmesan cheese, and water, and turn the heat to high.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes
- Add in the salt, pepper, and cumin. Cook for 15 more minutes, or until lentils are tender. (It took me about 40 minutes total.)
This soup is really filling. I was eating about 1 1/2 cups for lunch, and it kept me full for hours… which isn’t usually the case with most soups. I know it’s summer, and hot soup isn’t always on your mind, but I’m sure I’m going to be making this soup again in the near future. Not to mention, dried lentils are super cheap. It only cost me about ~$2 to make that whole pot of soup, which I ate for 4 meals.
While we’re on the subject of cheap, I didn’t do so great on my May grocery budget. I’m going to keep an eye on it a lot more closely for June. Yesterday, I did my grocery shopping for the week, and I got everything for $26 bucks. Now if I can just keep that trend going… I’ll be in good shape!