You all know I love hiding healthy ingredients in my recipes. So you can imagine how delighted I was when the theme for our cooking club this month was “healthy secret ingredients.” My friends and I get together once a month for some delicious food + girl time and the themes only add to the fun. (Last month was fondue!) The healthy ingredient had to be Greek yogurt, cauliflower, or avocado. I first attempted some Greek yogurt brownies but they tasted too healthy. (If dessert doesn’t taste like dessert, then what’s the point?) So I gave up on those and decided to try something with avocado. I wanted to keep things simple and these definitely fit the bill. These dark chocolate avocado truffles only take a few minutes to whip up and they’re gluten free and vegan. (Of course, you’ll have to make sure your dark chocolate chips are vegan, if that’s important to you!)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- ½ large avocado (about ⅓ cup)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips and the coconut oil.
- Microwave for 1 minute at a time at ½ power, stirring occasionally until melted.
- Scoop the avocado out of the peel and into a food processor or blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add in the melted chocolate and sea salt and continue to blend until combined.
- Put it in the fridge for 2 hours or until firm.
- Once it's hardened a bit, roll into 1 inch balls.
- Roll the balls into cocoa powder until coated.
- Store in the fridge until ready to serve!
It’s almost crazy how easy these dark chocolate avocado truffles are! And a dessert recipe that only requires 5 ingredients? Yes please. This is a good one to make when you’re low on groceries or you have half an avocado lying around.
I took these to cooking club and they got two thumbs up! Even Alex approved of these and trust me, he gave those Greek yogurt brownies a thumbs down.
Sorry for the teeth marks but come on. You have to see that fudgy center! Definitely pin these for the next time you have a little extra avocado to use up!
Try these vegan chocolate avocado muffins!
Or whip up a chocolate avocado smoothie!