Did you know you can use avocado in place of oil in baked goods? These chocolate cookies use avocado instead of oil for a deliciously fudgy texture.
It all started with these avocado muffins. It was the perfect way to use up a leftover avocado that was on the verge of being thrown out. Aren’t avocados are so hard to time? For days, they’re a rock and then suddenly they’re mushy. When you buy a whole bag, sometimes it’s hard to use them all up before they go bad, so I started using them in baking recipes. They’re such a perfect, healthy swap for butter or oil so I decided to turn them into a cookie!
These chocolate avocado cookies are rich and fudgy, almost like a dense brownie, but they’re healthier than most cookies! Did I mention that these cookies are so easy to make?
The avocado is a great source of healthy fat and the whole wheat pastry flour is a good source of protein and fiber. The coconut sugar has a lower glycemic index than standard sugar, which means your blood sugar won’t spike like it would with a traditional cookie.Print
Chocolate Avocado Cookies
These chocolate cookies use avocado instead of oil for a deliciously fudgy texture.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 10
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a food processor, combine the avocado, egg, vanilla, and sugar. (If you don’t have a food processor, you can use an immersion blender or hand mixer.) Blend until the avocado chunks are smooth.
- Stir in the salt, baking soda, flour, and cocoa.
- Add in the mini chocolate chips.
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet or lay down a silpat mat and drop rounded tablespoons of cookie dough onto the sheet. They won’t spread much so you don’t need much room in between.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. I only baked mine for 9. Do NOT over bake them!
- Remove from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before removing from the pan.
Keywords: Avocado Cookies
You can mix everything in one bowl, so there’s no need to dirty extra dishes. They also don’t spread very far, so you can fit quite a few on a pan. Just make sure you grease the pan or use a silicone mat, as they tend to stick to a cookie sheet.
I actually made a batch of these before we hit the road to visit Ohio for the weekend. Of course, I left them on the counter so we didn’t actually get to eat the rest of these. They would have been a nice road trip snack, though! Luckily we still had some of these healthy road trip snacks with us, so we survived! We had such a fun weekend visiting friends and family, seeing my cousin get married, and celebrating my nephew’s 3rd birthday. I was actually pretty disconnected from my phone & computer for a few days, so it was a nice little break. Now it’s back to the grind! The Tone It Up 7 Day Slim Down starts today, to wrap up the end of the challenge, so I’ll be working out hard and focusing on lots of healthy food!