You all know I love hiding healthy ingredients in my recipes. So you can imagine how delighted I was when the theme for our cooking club this month was “healthy secret ingredients.” My friends and I get together once a month for some delicious food + girl time and the themes only add to the fun. (Last month was fondue!) The healthy ingredient had to be Greek yogurt, cauliflower, or avocado. I first attempted some Greek yogurt brownies but they tasted too healthy. (If dessert doesn’t taste like dessert, then what’s the point?) So I gave up on those and decided to try something with avocado. I wanted to keep things simple and these definitely fit the bill. These dark chocolate avocado truffles only take a few minutes to whip up and they’re gluten free and vegan. (Of course, you’ll have to make sure your dark chocolate chips are vegan, if that’s important to you!)
These vegan & gluten free dark chocolate truffles are so easy to make!
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1/2 large avocado (about 1/3 cup)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips and the coconut oil.
- Microwave for 1 minute at a time at 1/2 power, stirring occasionally until melted.
- Scoop the avocado out of the peel and into a food processor or blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add in the melted chocolate and sea salt and continue to blend until combined.
- Put it in the fridge for 2 hours or until firm.
- Once it’s hardened a bit, roll into 1 inch balls.
- Roll the balls into cocoa powder until coated.
- Store in the fridge until ready to serve!
It’s almost crazy how easy these dark chocolate avocado truffles are! And a dessert recipe that only requires 5 ingredients? Yes please. This is a good one to make when you’re low on groceries or you have half an avocado lying around.
I took these to cooking club and they got two thumbs up! Even Alex approved of these and trust me, he gave those Greek yogurt brownies a thumbs down.
Sorry for the teeth marks but come on. You have to see that fudgy center! Definitely pin these for the next time you have a little extra avocado to use up!
Try these vegan chocolate avocado muffins!
Or whip up a chocolate avocado smoothie!