Sage and White Bean Pasta
This post is sponsored by Harvest Organics.
This Sage and White Bean Pastas is the perfect way to turn a box of pasta into a hearty vegetarian main dish! Creamy white beans and fresh sage add tons of flavor to this simple dinner.
I recently planted an herb garden and I love having fresh herbs available whenever I need them! I can easily spice up a pantry dinner. A few weeks ago, we were heading out of town so I was avoiding the grocery store. I had pasta in the fridge and I was trying to decide how to make it a little more interesting, so I turned to my herb garden!
Basil might have seemed like the obvious pairing for this pasta dish but I thought it would be fun to try a brown butter and sage combination!
Sage and White Bean Pasta Ingredients
- Pasta- I used whole wheat pasta for added protein, but you can use any kind of pasta you like
- Butter- A little butter is necessary for toasting the sage and creating a rich sauce.
- Sage- Fresh sage is essential! Don’t try to substitute dried sage. Feel free to add additional sage, if you like.
- Breadcrumbs- These add a delicious texture to the pasta.
- Cannellini beans- These creamy white beans are sometimes called white kindey beans.
- Parmesan cheese- Make sure you’re using real Parmesan cheese! This adds a salty, umami flavor.
How to Brown Butter
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Once the butter begins to foam, start whisking.
Add the sage and continue to whisk for about 5 minutes, over medium heat. It should be golden, but not dark. Stir in the breadcrumbs until coated.
Then, simply add the white beans and cooked pasta to the brown butter and bread crumb mixture and toss until combined.
How to Store Leftovers
If you have leftovers, keep them in an air-tight container in the fridge. To reheat, microwave leftovers at 50% power for 1 minute at a time. Toss with a little additional olive oil to prevent the pasta from drying out. Top with additional fresh sage when ready to eat.
What to Serve with Sage and White Bean Pasta
Looking for the perfect side dish? Try this Chopped Mediterranean Salad, which is a great way to round out your meal! Or enjoy this pasta with a bowl of Instant Pot Minestrone Soup. Still not sure what else to add to the dinner table? Check out my post about the perfect side dishes to serve with pasta! There are tons of ideas on the list!
More Pasta RecipesPrint
This sage and white bean pasta is a healthy, simple dinner with plenty of flavor from fresh herbs and Parmesan cheese.
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- ¼ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Once the butter begins to foam, start whisking.
- Add the sage and continue to whisk for about 5 minutes, over medium heat. It should be golden, but not dark.
- Stir in the bread crumbs until coated.
- Add the cannellini beans and pasta to the pan with the butter and bread crumbs and stir.
- Sprinkle in the parmesan cheese. To prevent the parmesan cheese from clumping, add a little bit at a time while tossing the hot pasta.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Keywords: Sage and White Bean Pasta
This was such a simple dinner but it hit the spot. The breadcrumbs add a deliciously crunchy texture and the creamy white beans help fill you up. This could easily serve four adults, but I’d recommend pairing it with some mixed greens or another side dish.