Panko Crusted Asparagus
Tender asparagus spears coated with crunchy panko crumbs are a quick and delicious side dish to pair with your favorite protein. This easy recipe only takes a few minutes to make!
How to Make Panko Crusted Asparagus
This panko-crusted asparagus comes together with just a few steps. Trim the woody ends off the bottom of the asparagus spears. Wash and gently pat dry with paper towels. Toss the asparagus in flour until it’s lightly coated. Dip into an egg wash, then coat with panko crumbs. Bake for 15 minutes until crispy.
What’s the difference between panko crumbs and bread crumbs?
Panko crumbs are made from white bread with the crusts removed. It’s processed into flakes and then dried. Panko crumbs tend to absorb oil more than traditional breadcrumbs and the end result is a crunchier crumb.
For a gluten-free option, use gluten-free panko crumbs or chickpea crumbs. Yes, you can find breadcrumbs made from chickpeas! Check them out on Thrive Market. Also, be sure to substitute gluten-free flour, for the all-purpose flour.Print
Tender asparagus spears coated with crunchy panko crumbs make a quick and delicious dish to pair with your favorite protein. This recipe only takes a few minutes to make!
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg or 2 egg whites, beaten
- Marinara sauce or aioli for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a shallow dish, combine the panko crumbs, garlic powder, and salt.
- Toss the asparagus in the flour until very lightly coated.
- Working one at a time, dip the asparagus into the egg and let the excess drip off.
- Roll the asparagus into the panko crumbs until coated.
- Line the asparagus in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, turning halfway until browned.
- Serve with marinara sauce or aioli for dipping.
Keywords: panko crusted asparagus
What to Serve with Panko Crusted Asparagus
Looking for a main dish to pair with this asparagus? Here are a few of my favorites!
Vegan Quinoa Bowls
3 Ingredient Ravioli Lasagna
If you love panko crusted asparagus, be sure to try my crispy baked green bean fries!