Meatless Spaghetti Sauce
This delicious meatless spaghetti sauce uses mushrooms for a hearty texture that is completely vegetarian! This freezer-friendly sauce is delicious on your favorite pasta.
I have to admit, I don’t normally like mushrooms. I wish I did. I know it seems crazy, since I’m a vegetarian, but I think it’s a texture thing. I heard from a lot of you on Instagram that you felt the same way. Luckily, the mushrooms add a rich hearty flavor in this sauce but without any of the texture that normally makes me hesitate to eat mushrooms.
How to Make Meatless Spaghetti Sauce
This meatless sauce is simple to make! You’ll need:
- Cremini or button mushrooms
- Tomato paste
- Crushed red pepper
- Crushed tomatoes
- Vegetable broth
Start by sautéing chopped mushrooms in olive oil, to release the moisture from the mushrooms.
Add chopped onion and continue to cook until the onion is softened.
Add the tomato paste and cook for a few more minutes.
Add the garlic, oregano, and crushed red pepper and continue to cook for 30 seconds.
Add the vegetable broth and crushed tomatoes and simmer for 30 minutes.
If you like a chunky sauce, you can serve the sauce as-is.
If you like a smoother sauce, use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
This sauce is delicious served over pasta but you can also use it in recipes like this 5 ingredient baked ziti!
The Best Mushrooms for Pasta Sauce
I like to use button mushrooms or cremini mushrooms for this recipe. The main difference between cremini mushrooms and white button mushrooms is size. Cremini mushrooms tend to be slightly larger, and also slightly more expensive. Either one is great for this recipe. Cremini mushrooms may also be called “baby bella” mushrooms.
How to Clean Mushrooms
The best way to clean mushrooms is to gently rinse them in a colander then use a damp paper towel to wipe any remaining dirt off the surface of the mushrooms. Try to avoid submerging or soaking sliced mushrooms as this can make them watery. If a mushroom has its gills exposed (like a portobello mushroom) then it’s best to avoid rinsing and just wipe them with a damp paper towel.Print
This delicious spaghetti sauce uses mushrooms for a hearty texture that is completely vegetarian! This freezer-friendly sauce is delicious on your favorite pasta.
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz cremini or button mushrooms
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat for 30 seconds
- Add mushrooms and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until the onion is translucent
- Add tomato paste and cook 1-2 minutes
- Add garlic, oregano, and crushed red peppers and continue to cook for for 30 seconds
- Stir in tomatoes and broth bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- For a smoother sauce, use an immersion blender to gently blend the sauce until it’s the desired thickness.
Keywords: meatless spaghetti sauce