This delicious spaghetti sauce uses mushrooms for a hearty texture that is completely vegetarian! This freezer-friendly sauce is delicious on your favorite pasta.
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz cremini or button mushrooms
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat for 30 seconds
- Add mushrooms and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until the onion is translucent
- Add tomato paste and cook 1-2 minutes
- Add garlic, oregano, and crushed red peppers and continue to cook for for 30 seconds
- Stir in tomatoes and broth bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- For a smoother sauce, use an immersion blender to gently blend the sauce until it’s the desired thickness.
Keywords: meatless spaghetti sauce