This easy vegan falafel is made with canned chickpeas and a handful of pantry staples. This recipe only takes a few minutes to prepare!
Traditionally, you’re not supposed to make falafel with canned chickpeas. This is definitely not meant to be the most authentic falafel, but it’s delicious and it’s super quick and easy to make. So if you’re having a falafel craving and you don’t have time to soak chickpeas, grab a can of chickpeas and give this one a try! While we were stuffing our faces with this homemade falafel Alex said “I feel like I should feel guilty for eating this because it’s so good.” (But don’t worry- it’s filled with healthy ingredients!)
Yeah, this vegan falafel is good. And it’s also super easy, requiring just a few ingredients that you probably have sitting in your pantry. Give it a try!
Easy Falafel Recipe
This vegan falafel uses canned chickpeas to make this recipe quick and easy! It makes 6 small patties, enough to serve 2 people as a main dish.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 2
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cooked
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (see note)
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup curly parsley, stems removed
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2-4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Add the chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, parsley, salt, and 2 tablespoons of flour to the food processor.
- Pulse for 10-15 seconds until chunky. If the mixture is too wet, add the additional 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop up the mixture and press into patties
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Gently place the patties into the skillet and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until lightly browned
- Flip and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes, adding the additional tablespoon of oil, if necessary.
- Remove from pan and place on a paper towel to cool slightly before serving
After rinsing the chickpeas, be sure to drain them well. You don’t want any extra liquid in these patties so be sure to drain them until the liquid is gone.
Keywords: vegan falafel
If you’re vegan, serve with hummus or enjoy it as-is! If you eat dairy, try it with a scoop of this tzatziki sauce on the side!
Looking for other easy vegan recipes?
Try this easy, one pan ratatouille recipe!
Craving something sweet? Make this vegan granola bark!
Don’t forget to pin this vegan falafel so you can make it later!