This vegan falafel uses canned chickpeas to make this recipe quick and easy! It makes 6 small patties, enough to serve 2 people as a main dish.
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (see note)
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup curly parsley, stems removed
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon za’atar seasoning (optional)
- 2–4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Add the chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, parsley, salt, za’atar, and 2 tablespoons of flour to the food processor.
- Pulse for 10-15 seconds until chunky. If the mixture is too wet, add the additional 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop up the mixture and press into patties
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Gently place the patties into the skillet and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until lightly browned
- Flip and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes, adding the additional tablespoon of oil, if necessary.
- Remove from pan and place on a paper towel to cool slightly before serving
After rinsing the chickpeas, be sure to drain them well. You don’t want any extra liquid in these patties so be sure to drain them until the liquid is gone.
Keywords: vegan falafel