Crispy Parmesan Edamame
This crispy Parmesan Edamame is a delicious, high-protein snack! Made with just a few ingredients, this is the perfect side dish or snack to enjoy anytime!
It can be hard to find high-protein vegetarian recipes that are low in carbohydrates, but this one fits the bill. Whether you’re counting calories or carbs or you just want a delicious snack or side dish, this easy recipe is a great one!
What is Edamame?
Edamame are soybeans, the same beans that are used to make tofu. Sometimes they come in a shell, which isn’t edible. But you can also buy it pre-shelled, which makes it easy! It’s a great source of plant-based protein and fiber. I often buy it in the frozen section although you may be able to find it fresh.
Is Edamame Healthy?
Yes! Edamame is a great source of plant-based protein! One serving of this crispy edamame has 11g of protein! It’s also a great source of fiber with almost 4 grams per serving. It’s also pretty low in calories, so you can eat a pretty large serving if you’re hungry! Check out this post for more high-volume, low-calorie recipes. This recipe makes a great side dish to add to your favorite stir fry!
- You can use edamame that’s still in the shell, but you’ll need to remove the beans from the pods before cooking. This can be a bit time consuming, but it’s not hard!
- If you’re looking for a vegan option, try roasting the edamame with olive oil, salt and pepper and then drizzle with soy sauce once it’s done cooking.
How to Make Crispy Edamame
You can use fresh or frozen edamame for this recipe. I like to buy the frozen, shelled edamame because it tends to be the cheapest and it saves you the time of shelling the edamame. If you’re using frozen edamame, you can thaw it in the microwave or rinse it under warm water for a few minutes.
Spread the edamame on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Stir to evenly coat the edamame.
Then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake until brown and crispy.
Season with additional salt and pepper if necessary and enjoy!
If you’re looking for more ways to enjoy edamame, try this edamame sheet pan meal.
Or try this simple air fryer edamame! It’s a great way to make a quick and delicious side dish.Print
This crispy Parmesan Edamame is a delicious, high protein snack! Made with just a few ingredients, this is the perfect side dish or snack to enjoy anytime!
- 1 1/2 cups of shelled edamame
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese (note: freshly shredded is best!)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- If you’re using frozen edamame, run it under warm water in a colander and gently pat dry. If using fresh edamame, you can skip this step.
- Toss the edamame in olive oil.
- On a baking sheet, spread out the edamame into a single layer.
- Lightly cover with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until cheese is golden brown.
This recipe was originally published in March 2015. Updated January 2022.
Keywords: crispy edamame