Cranberry Apple Salad
This post is sponsored by Success Rice.
This cranberry apple salad combines crunchy Brussels sprouts and fluffy basmati rice for an easy and delicious side dish that is perfect for your holiday table!
This cranberry apple salad is perfect for the busy holiday season because you can prepare it in advance and it keeps well in the refrigerator. If you’ve never tried using Brussels sprouts as the base of a salad, you might be surprised at how delicious they are! The dressing softens them slightly so they’re tender with just the right amount of crunch. The basmati rice makes this salad hearty and filling and the sweet cranberries and salty feta cheese will have you craving this salad all winter long!
Cranberry Apple Salad Ingredients
- Success Basmati Rice– Success Rice is a no-measure, no mess, boil-in-bag rice that makes cooking simple with perfectly fluffy rice every single time!
- Brussels Sprouts– I used finely shredded Brussels sprouts. You can either buy them pre-shredded or you can slice them with a knife or a mandoline slicer. If you have a food processor, you can shred them with a shredding disk.
- Dried Cranberries– These add a tart flavor that balances out the sweetness of apple.
- Apples– I like using a crunchy red apple for sweetness like a Fuji or a Honeycrisp.
- Pumpkin Seeds– Roasted pumpkin seeds add a salty, crunchy texture to the salad.
- Feta Cheese– I love this crumbly sheep’s milk cheese which adds a salty flavor and a creamy texture to the salad.
What is Basmati Rice?
Basmati rice is a type of long-grain rice with a slightly nutty flavor. When cooked, basmati rice is fluffy, rather than sticky, making it the perfect texture for this salad. The rice in this recipe makes the salad feel more substantial and filling. I’ve been keeping Success rice in my pantry because it’s so easy to prepare! Just drop in the bag in a pot of boiling water, let it cook for 10 minutes, and the rice comes out soft every time. It takes all the guesswork out of making rice so I have more time to focus on the rest of the recipe. Learn where to buy Success Rice so you can keep your pantry stocked!
How to Make The Dressing
This simple dressing combines olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper for an easy, flavorful dressing. The acid in the lemon juice helps soften the Brussels sprouts and the olive oil adds a rich, slightly fruity flavor. The Dijon mustard adds just the right tangy, spicy touch. Together, these ingredients balance the sweetness of the apples and tartness of the cranberries to create an irresistible salad!
- If you don’t have feta cheese, you can substitute Parmesan cheese or Pecorino Romano instead.
- To make this recipe vegan, skip the cheese and add a ¼ cup of salted pine nuts. This helps replace the salty flavor of the cheese.
- If you’re missing lemon juice, you can substitute it with white wine vinegar or champagne vinegar.
- If you don’t have apples, try using chopped pears instead.
How to Make Shredded Brussels Sprouts
If you can’t find pre-shredded Brussels sprouts at the grocery store, you can easily make your own! If you have a food processor, it’s quick and easy. Simply trim the end of the Brussels sprout, then use a shredding disk to shred the Brussels sprouts.
If you don’t have a food processor, use a sharp knife or mandolin slicer to slice the sprouts as thinly as possible. Don’t worry if the sprouts aren’t perfectly shredded. They’ll work just fine in this salad recipe!
This salad can be made up to 2 hours in advance. If you want to keep it crunchy, you can combine the ingredients in advance, then add the dressing just before serving. If you’d like a slightly softer texture, add the dressing a couple of hours in advance which will help soften the Brussels sprouts. While this salad is best served the same day it’s made, it can be stored up to 24 hours in the refrigerator. The leftovers are still delicious!Print
This cranberry apple salad uses crunchy Brussels sprouts and fluffy basmati rice for an easy and delicious side dish that is perfect for your holiday table!
- 1 package Success basmati rice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 4 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 small sweet red apple, chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted, salted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- Cook the basmati rice according to package directions, then set aside.
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper until incorporated.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded Brussels sprouts, basmati rice, dried cranberries, apples, pumpkin seeds, and feta.
- Drizzle with the dressing and gently toss until combined.
Keywords: cranberry apple salad
Looking for more recipes to add to your holiday table? Try this vegetarian stuffed squash! It’s a beautiful and delicious main dish that is easy to make! Or if you’re short on time, try my 3 ingredient ravioli lasagna recipe!