When Alex and I were celebrating my birthday a few weeks ago, we ended up making quite a few yummy dishes. Alex picked out the recipes, shopped for all the ingredients, and he and I did the fun part together! I wanted to share this broiled tomato recipe because it’s a great one if your garden is overflowing with tomatoes! We mostly followed this recipe, but I’m sharing our version below!
Serving suggestions with these broiled tomatoes
- Try these with a baguette, apples and your favorite cheese
- Pair them with a light salad like this spinach and avocado salad
- Serve these as a side dish with this one pot white bean soup
- 6 small tomatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Make sure your oven rack is about 4 inches away from the top of the oven.
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Slice the tomatoes in half. You can scoop out part of the seeds if you want to make room for more filling, but we just piled it on top.
- Spread a very thin layer of Dijon mustard on each of the tomato halves.
- Sprinkle with shredded gruyere cheese.
- In a small dish, combine the melted butter, bread crumbs, and cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture on top of the tomatoes.
- Top with capers.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes until the topping begins to brown and the tomato softens.
Keep a close eye on the tomatoes because you want the cheese to brown but you don’t want the bread crumbs to burn!
These broiled tomatoes are great because they can be ready in just a few minutes! You could even prep these ahead of time and keep them in the fridge for a bit before baking. We used Hanover tomatoes and ours were fairly large, but you could make these with slightly smaller tomatoes if you just wanted to make them as a little appetizer.
And who can resist that cheese? I loved the gruyere that Alex picked out. I may or may not have been sneaking pinches of shredded cheese while we were cooking. It was so creamy and delicious!
There’s nothing better than a fresh tomato! If you have a few leftover, you can make this super easy tomato & cucumber salad!