These broiled tomatoes with Gruyere cheese are a delicious way to enjoy summer tomatoes! The gooey cheese, crispy breadcrumbs, and juicy tomatoes are an amazing combination!
- 6 medium slicing tomatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons capers, rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Make sure your oven rack is about 4 inches away from the top of the oven.
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Slice the tomatoes in half. You can scoop out part of the seeds if you want to make room for more filling, but we just piled it on top.
- Spread a very thin layer of Dijon mustard on each of the tomato halves.
- Sprinkle with shredded gruyere cheese.
- In a small dish, combine the melted butter, bread crumbs, and cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture on top of the tomatoes.
- Top with capers.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes until the topping begins to brown and the tomato softens.
Keep a close eye on the tomatoes because you want the cheese to brown but you don’t want the bread crumbs to burn!
If you want to line the pan, be sure to use a silicone liner, as parchment paper should not be used under a broiler.
Keywords: broiled tomatoes