This baked feta cheese with tomatoes is a deliciously simple appetizer. Salty feta pairs perfectly with sweet, juicy summer tomatoes. Add a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle of herbs and you’re ready to serve this delicious dish!
After realizing how easy it was to make baked goat cheese, I started thinking about what other cheeses could be easily turned into a simple appetizer. Next on the list? Feta cheese. It’s one of my favorite cheeses because it’s salty with just the right amount of sourness.
With recipes like this that only require a few items, it’s important to use high quality ingredients. Get real Greek feta cheese. Look for tomatoes at your farmer’s market. I like using an assortment of colors and sizes because it’s beautiful and adds a nice depth of flavor to the dish!
How to pick out feta cheese
- Real Greek feta cheese is made from sheep’s milk and that’s what gives feta such a unique flavor. Be sure to check the label because a lot of feta in the United States is made from cow’s milk.
- Look for a block of feta that is in a solid block and in a container of brine. This will give you a fresher flavor than the kind of cheese that is vacuum-sealed.
- I do not recommend fat-free feta. You’ll be missing out on all the delicious flavor and it won’t have the same texture. For this recipe, you need the real deal!
I also recommend using high-quality olive oil. I absolutely love California Olive Ranch but there are also a lot of boutique olive oil shops popping up, so that’s a great place to find a delicious oil!Print
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 6oz block of feta
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, and oregano until combined.
- Place the feta in the center of a small, rimmed casserole dish.
- Cover with tomato mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes then remove from the oven.
- Sprinkle with parsley and let it cool slightly for 5 minutes.
- Serve with slices of pita or naan.
Keywords: Baked Feta Appetizer
This baked feta with tomatoes such a simple appetizer recipe but it’s delicious! The texture of the feta becomes more firm and creamy and it pairs perfectly with the sweet tomatoes. We sliced off pieces of feta and scooped them up with pita, topped with tomatoes. It’s a combination that’s hard to beat. We planted a garden this past weekend so I can’t wait to pick fresh tomatoes and make this recipe at the peak of summer!
Looking for another simple but cheesy appetizer? Try this 4 ingredient baked goat cheese!