Phew. What a title. This recipe is a fun one because it combines a few of my favorite things: french fries and avocado. But thanks to the baking of sweet potato fries and the addition of Greek yogurt into the dip, this recipe is one you can enjoy without worrying about calories and all that. (Not that we worry about calories over here. We agreed on that, didn’t we?) Anyways, it was hard to take these photos because I kept eating what was on the plate. Oops.
First, let’s talk about sweet potato fries. I’ve been making them since college which means I’ve made all the mistakes you can make when baking something this simple. Here are my tips for perfect fries:
Now that we’ve covered the basics, let’s move on to sweet potato fries 201. There still not complicated, but the addition of garlic is heavenly. Once you ad the avocado dip… look out. Alex liked the dip so much he dipped his fries in it and covered his veggie burger with it. That’s a good sign.
Is it just me, or does that sort of look like a fin? Whatever. It’s delicious.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 avocado
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ lime
- ¾ tsp salt
- For the fries:
- Preheat the oven to 450
- Slice the potatoes into thin wedges and toss into a large bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Using a garlic press, smash 3 cloves of garlic into a bowl. (If you don't have a garlic press, you can just finely mince it.)
- Toss the potato wedges to coat with oil and garlic.
- Bake for 30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes until lightly browned.
- For the avocado dip:
- Slice the avocado in half and remove the pit.
- Scoop out the flesh of the avocado into a small bowl.
- Add the yogurt and stir until combined.
- Squeeze in juice from the lime.
- Stir in the cilantro and salt.
Seriously, this dip could go on anything. Ok maybe not anything, but at least veggie burgers, tortilla chips, carrot sticks, burritos, tacos… there are lots of options.
Someone hand me a spoon. I’m going back for seconds.
I made this for lunch yesterday, while Alex cleaned up the paint sprayer. We were painting the basement ceiling which was quite an undertaking. (One coat of primer on Saturday, one coat of ceiling paint on Sunday.) The next step is the floor… and then we’ll start all over on the second half of the basement. To compensate for the less-then-fun home activities I bought some more furniture. The living room is finally coming together so I’ll post some pictures soon!