Baked macaroni and cheese is one of my favorite forms of comfort foods, but it usually feels more like a “special occasion” dish. Probably because it’s usually loaded up with tons of cheese and butter without a lot of redeeming health benefits. I couldn’t justify having it for dinner every night, but sometimes a girl needs her macaroni.
So I played around with a traditional recipe, and switched some things up, namely adding broccoli and removing the massive amounts of butter. Ok, there were a few other changes, but read on for the full healthy baked macaroni and cheese recipe!
- 16 oz whole wheat macaroni
- 1 large head of broccoli, chopped
- 2½ cups of skim milk
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup smoked Gouda
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Dash of pepper
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add in the macaroni and cook according to the packages directions.
- When you have about 5 minutes left of the pasta cooking, add in the broccoli. (Check it out, one less dish to wash!)
- You can boil them together until both are tender.
- In a separate sauce pan, heat up the milk.
- Right before it starts to simmer, whisk in the flour and cornstarch slowly.
- Add the salt, then the cheeses.
- Sprinkle with garlic powder, and pepper.
- Combine the sauce and the macaroni in an 8x8 pan.
- Cover with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for another 10 minutes, or until the cheese begins to brown just a tad.
I’ve made this dish for friends and roommates and I’ve also made it for our family’s Christmas dinner! It’s a perfect side dish or vegetarian main dish. Macaroni and cheese has always been one of my favorite comfort foods and with a recipe like this, I don’t have to save it for special occasions!