Watermelon and Feta Salad with Avocado
This watermelon and feta salad with avocado is the perfect summer side dish. It only takes a few minutes to assemble and it’s a delicious combination of salty and sweet flavors!
Last weekend the weather was just about perfect! The early morning light and the warmer evenings are getting me excited for picnics and outdoor parties, so I must have had that on my mind when I came up with this recipe.
When I saw watermelons on sale and I couldn’t resist grabbing one. I knew it wouldn’t be quite as sweet and juicy as the ones we’ll get later this summer, but I still had to get one. I’d been thinking about a watermelon and feta combination for a while but it finally happened this weekend.
I remember as a kid, my grandma would sprinkle salt on top of her watermelon. I thought it was the strangest thing, but now it makes sense. The salt amplifies the sweetness! In this recipe, the salty feta brings out the sweetness of the watermelon just perfectly. The avocado adds a creamy texture and the basil enhances the overall sweetness of the dish.
Watermelon Salad Ingredients
- Watermelon– Obviously, you need watermelon! Read on for my tips on how to pick out a perfect watermelon.
- Feta- I love the saltiness the feta adds to this recipe. If you can’t find feta, you can try this with queso fresco instead!
- Avocado– The creamy avocado is such a fun addition to this recipe. If you buy a lot of avocados, store them in the fridge. They’ll ripen more evenly and last much longer!
- Basil– A little fresh basil adds a lovely flavor to this recipe but if you don’t have any on hand, try mint instead!
How to Pick a Watermelon
- The watermelon should feel heavy for its size. Pick it up and see how it feels!
- When you tap the bottom of the watermelon it should have a hollow sound.
- The spot on the bottom should be a creamy yellow, which indicates it’s ripe.
You can also add a squeeze of lime, if you like. It’s totally optional but it helps the avocado from turning brown. I wouldn’t make this watermelon and feta salad too far in advance since the avocado is best when it’s freshly chopped, but the lime will give it a longer shelf life if you’re bringing it to a picnic or event.Print
Watermelon and Feta Salad with Avocado
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 0 Minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 cups 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chopped
- Cuisine: Salad
This watermelon, avocado, and feta salad is the perfect summer side dish. It only takes a few minutes to assemble and it’s a delicious combination of salty and sweet flavors!
- 6 cups seedless watermelon, cut into 1” cubes
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil (about 8 leaves)
- 1 lime (optional)
- Don’t stress about how to measure your watermelon cubes, since they won’t fit neatly into a measuring cup. You can pretty much eyeball it. For reference, I used ½ a small icebox size watermelon in the pictures above.
- Toss the watermelon and feta in a large bowl until mixed.
- Add the avocado and gently mix. You want to be careful not to smash the avocado.
- Sprinkle with basil.
- If not serving right away, squeeze a bit of lime juice on top to prevent the avocado from browning.
Keywords: Watermelon and Feta Salad
If you’re trying to judge how much watermelon you need, the photo above is only showing half the recipe. This one is easy to split if you’re not looking to feed a crowd, but it doesn’t take any extra effort to make a full batch! I ended up snacking on this salad for breakfast because I took the photographs early in the morning. Honestly, this would be a perfect brunch dish!
If you have leftover watermelon, try freezing some and making this watermelon mojito smoothie!
Don’t have any watermelon? Try this avocado and grapefruit salad instead! It’s a more traditional salad, served on a bed of greens, but it has tons of tart flavor! If you love avocado and fruit together, definitely give that recipe a try!
What’s your favorite way to enjoy watermelon?
I grew up eating salt on watermelon and that combination is still one I love, so the saltiness of the feta and the sweetness of the watermelon sound pretty perfect to me. Great photos, too!
Ooooh! The watermelon and feta must be glorious together! This is pretty close to genius! I have to give this a try this summer!
Perfect for Florida watermelon season that just started! Lovely fresh option and so refreshing. Watermelon goes really well with savory so I appreciate a dish that is easy and colorful
I’ve been so looking forward to eating watermelon again. This salad is definitely a great way to switch it up. And I’m loving the addition of avocado. Need to try this one 🙂
WOW what a stand out recipe! My mouth was watering just reading it. I have not strayed to the salty watermelon side yet, but I think I am ready. Definitely trying this recipe. Pinning now
Such a classic and yet so deceptively simple!
What a great combo! I have to try this out this Summer for sure!
OMG, watermelon and feta goes so well together! I’ve tried similar recipe last summer and loved this combo so much! Saving this, definitely will be making it soon!
Yes, this is the perfect recipe for me. I LOVE how easy and delicious this is! Good idea! Looks very tasty! I am going to make this! This recipe really impresses! I really like! Thank you.
I love this combination! And any salad that takes a few minutes to assemble is a winner in my kitchen.