Vegetarian Buffalo Dip
This cheesy buffalo dip is made with chickpeas instead of chicken! This spicy vegetarian side dish is perfect for game day!
This creamy dip is only five ingredients but don’t let the simplicity fool you, this recipe packs major flavor!
Can I Make Buffalo Dip Without Chicken?
The answer is yes! If you’ve ever watched a football game with friends, you’ve probably been served buffalo chicken dip! So I decided to create a vegetarian version of this popular dish and I’m so happy with how it turned out! I served this to a group of omnivores and they all agreed, this was just as good as the chicken version!
Why I Love This Recipe
This buffalo chickpea dip is just five ingredients and it’s so easy to make! It’s perfect for a party because it’s vegetarian and gluten-free, so most of your friends will be able to enjoy it! If you don’t like things super spicy, just use a mild buffalo sauce. You can adjust the flavors to taste. You can make this recipe in advance and it reheats really well, so it’s great for party planning!
Buffalo Chickpea Dip Ingredients
- Chickpeas– This is the base of the recipe and helps replace the meat in a traditional buffalo dip.
- Greek Yogurt– This adds a tangy, creaminess. You can substitute with sour cream, if you like.
- Cream Cheese– This is essential for the creamy flavor of the dip, and it helps tame the spiciness of the buffalo sauce.
- Buffalo Sauce– I like using Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Sauce, but I’ve included other options below!
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese– I love the cheesy, salty flavor this adds to the dip!
- Green Onions– These are totally optional but nice for a little garnish!
How to Make Buffalo Chickpea Dip
Add the chickpeas, greek yogurt, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, and shredded cheese to a food processor.
Pulse until combined, but still chunky. You don’t want it to be too smooth.
Transfer the dip into an oven safe casserole dish and bake for 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and the dip is soft and creamy.
Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly. Top with green onions, if desired.
What to Serve with Buffalo Chickpea Dip
This dip is delicious with tortilla chips or crackers! You can also serve it with carrot sticks and celery sticks, which are a great option if you want something lighter!
The Best Buffalo Sauce for Dip
For the buffalo sauce, we typically use Frank’s Red Hot, but it’s not the “cleanest” list of ingredients. Tessamae’s and The New Primal both make buffalo sauce that is sugar-free, dairy-free, etc. So if you have dietary restrictions, be sure to check out those sauces!
- You can use Greek yogurt or sour cream. I didn’t really notice a difference in taste, just be sure to use unsweetened Greek yogurt with no added flavors.
- If you wanted to make this recipe a little lighter, look for Greek yogurt cream cheese, which has a little less fat and calories, and more protein than traditional cream cheese.
- If you like your dip extra spicy, feel free to add hot sauce or use a spicier buffalo sauce.
- I used shredded cheddar cheese but you can also use a blend of cheddar and Pepper Jack cheeses if you like. You could even add in a sprinkle of blue cheese, if you like that type of funky flavor.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
If you have leftovers, let cool then cover with an airtight lid or wrap with plastic wrap. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days. When ready to serve, you can reheat in the oven or microwave. In the microwave, heat at 70% power for 30 seconds at a time, stirring each time to avoid burning. To reheat in the oven, preheat the oven to 300ºF and bake for 10-15 minutes until warm.Print
This cheesy buffalo chickpea dip is a vegetarian twist on a classic dip! This spicy side dish is perfect for game day!
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Green onions (optional for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and pulse until combined.
- Transfer to a small baking dish and bake for 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Top with green onions, if desired.
Keywords: buffalo chickpea dip
If you love buffalo sauce, be sure to try my Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos and my Buffalo Chickpea Tacos! They’re both full of spicy flavor! If you need another dip idea, try my Spicy Street Corn Salad! It’s another popular dip recipe, perfect for game day!