I love macaroni and cheese. Love. It. I’ve posted a range of recipes on the blog already but I’d never tried it with spaghetti squash. Is it still mac n cheese if there is no macaroni? I’m not sure. But I think you get the point.
The bonus? This Spaghetti Squash Mac n Cheese only has 150 calories per serving. Yep. And a serving isn’t just a few bites, it’s a cup. (Here’s the nutritional info, without bread crumbs. It’s slightly higher if you decide to use them.) Ohh yeah and it’s gluten free so if that’s your thing, you’re in luck.Print
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (About 5 cups of shredded squash)
- 1 cup almond milk (or skim milk)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half and discard the seeds.
- Turn it upside down (so the peel is facing up and the inside is facing down) and place it on a large plate. Add a bit of water to the plate and cover with a paper towel.
- Microwave for 10-15 minutes, or until the inside is soft. (Basically, you’re steaming it.) Once it slightly softened, scoop out the strands with a fork.
- While your squash is cooking, cook the almond milk + cheddar cheese over medium heat until the cheese begins to melt. Whisk until combined.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the flour. Let cool.
- Once the cheese mixture is cool, add in the yogurt.
- Combine the cheese mixture with the spaghetti squash “noodles” and spread in an oven safe dish.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs (if using)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the breadcrumbs begin to brown.
Honestly, I was slightly worried about how it was going to turn out. I’d already had one failure previously in the day. (Do NOT believe all those pins about how Jicama fries are so awesome and taste delicious. They didn’t. They tasted like a salty, chewy piece of cardboard.) But I guess I got my bad luck out of the way, because this turned out great! I’ll definitely be packing the leftovers with me today. It was about 6 servings for us since we had a small salad with it but if you’re super hungry it might be more like 4. Either way, this will definitely make it into our regular rotation of dinners!
For some other macaroni and cheese recipes, see below: