Sheet Pan Halloumi and Vegetables
What is Halloumi Cheese?
Halloumi originated in Cyprus, a country in the Middle East. It was traditionally made with goat and sheep’s milk but a lot of the halloumi you’ll find in the United States is made with cow’s milk. Look for goat and sheep’s milk if you can find it! There is a Greek market near my house that sells it and it’s actually cheaper to buy it there compared to the grocery store!
What Does Halloumi Taste Like?
Halloumi is a very salty cheese. The flavor is similar to feta but the texture is more like mozzarella. It’s not crumbly and it stays firm when melted.
How to Prepare Halloumi
Halloumi is often grilled or cooked in a skillet, but in this recipe, we’ll cook it on a sheet pan! I love cooking it in the oven because you can cook it with vegetables all at once. It makes a delicious one-pan recipe with minimal cleanup.
- You can easily swap in whatever vegetables you have available for this recipe. Try green beans instead of broccoli or additional peppers in place of the red onion.
- If you don’t have cilantro on hand, you can substitute fresh parsley instead.
- You can skip the sauce entirely, if necessary. But I think it adds a nice herbal flavor that enhances the dish!
- Unfortunately, there really isn’t a close substitute for halloumi. The flavor is so unique, you have to try it!
Crispy halloumi and roasted vegetables are a tasty combination for an easy sheet pan dinner recipe! This salty cheese gets deliciously crispy in the oven and a rainbow of vegetables makes this hearty meal perfectly healthy!
For the Halloumi and Vegetables
- 1 8oz package halloumi cheese, sliced into 1/2” slices
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped into 1” pieces
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
For the sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of salt
For the halloumi and vegetables
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place peppers and broccoli on one pan.
- Place halloumi and onion on a second pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes, then flip the vegetables and cheese and continue to bake for 5 minutes.
- Turn the oven to broil and cook for 2-3 minutes until the halloumi is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and add sauce. (Recipe below)
For the sauce
- Blend the olive oil, cilantro, paprika, and cumin.
- Add salt to taste.
- Drizzle over halloumi and vegetables.
Keywords: sheet pan halloumi