I’m pretty sure I’d eat pizza every day if I could. But since eating pizza on the daily probably wouldn’t feel that great, I’ve been finding other ways to get my pizza fix in a slightly healthier way. My latest pizza obsession? These super easy zucchini pizza bites!
Since these are only a few ingredients, the ingredients themselves are super important. A recipe is only as good as the ingredients!
How to pick the perfect ingredients
- Choose a high-quality sauce. I like Rao’s tomato basil or Dave’s Gourmet. Look for a sauce without added sugar or preservatives.
- When picking out zucchini, look for a smaller squash which will be less watery than really large ones. Look for firm skin without blemishes.
- I normally use finely shredded mozzarella because it’s easier to add just a pinch on top of each slice. Fresh mozzarella is delicious because it melts a little better, but it can be a bit messy to use. You pick!
You might want to go ahead and make a double batch of these pizza bites because I can guarantee that they’ll disappear quickly!Print
- 1 large zucchini (or 2 smaller ones)
- 1/2 cup your favorite marinara sauce
- 2 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 basil leaves, turn into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Using a mandoline or sharp knife, slice the zucchini into 1/2″ thick rounds
- Lay on a paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for a few minutes and dab with the paper towel to remove the moisture.
- Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick spray, or lay down a sheet of parchment paper, then arrange the zucchini in a single layer.
- Top with a spoonful of sauce and a pinch of cheese.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cheese begins to brown.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve!
I love adding fresh grated parmesan cheese on top and a sprinkle or oregano, but you can keep it simple if you don’t have these things on hand.
I kept these bites simple but feel free to add your favorite toppings! The options are limitless.
Zucchini Pizza Bite Topping Ideas
- Try adding a little dollop of ricotta instead of mozzarella cheese!
- If you’re a meat eater, add a pepperoni slice on top of each pizza bite.
- Finely dice a red or yellow bell pepper and sprinkle it on top for extra veggies!
These little pizza bites are perfect for a little appetizer but I also like serving them for dinner with a hearty side dish.
Zucchini Pizza Bite Side Dish Ideas
- A spicy kale salad is a delicious salad to serve with these zucchini pizza bites and it’s perfect if you want to keep this meal light!
- You could also pair these pizza bites with a Caesar salad! This recipe includes roasted chickpeas which makes the salad even more filling.
- This tomato and rice soup is easy to make and it’s delicious with these cheesy pizza bites.
Let’s be honest, pizza is delicious with just about anything!
Got some leftover zucchini? Try this lightened-up zucchini bread!