Easy Sautéed Brussels Sprouts
These easy sautéed Brussels sprouts are a low carb vegetarian side dish that pairs perfectly with your favorite protein! Once your Brussels sprouts are shredded, this recipe comes together in just 10 minutes!
I lot of you have asked for low carb vegetarian recipes and I’m happy to oblige! Although I certainly don’t eat a low carb diet, I completely understand that a lot of vegetarian and vegan food tends to be fairly high in carbohydrates. While I don’t personally have any trouble getting enough fat or protein, I know that it takes a little bit more planning. Sometimes it’s nice to have a lower carb side dish that you can serve with your favorite protein, and this sauteed Brussels sprouts recipe is exactly that!
First, let’s talk about shredded Brussels sprouts. Sometimes I’ll buy them pre-shredded because it saves me time. (You can usually find these at larger groceries stores and/or Trader Joe’s.) But if you can’t find them already shredded at the store, you can use a slicing disk on your food processor or simply shred them by hand. While shredding by hand can take a bit of time, it’s not hard with a mandoline slicer.
And if you don’t have of the tools I just mentioned… then you can simply use a sharp knife! To shred the Brussels sprouts on your own, trim off the end and slice thinly. If you’re working with a knife, slice them as thin as you comfortably can. With a shredding disk on a food processor, you can simply trim the ends and toss them in!
The cooking time for this recipe will vary slightly depending on the thickness of your Brussels sprouts so you’ll want to keep a close eye on the stove. But don’t worry, this recipe cooks quickly so you won’t be spending the whole evening over the stove.
These easy sautéed Brussels sprouts are a delicious low carb side dish! Pair it with your favorite protein for a tasty dinner.
- 3 cups of shredded Brussels sprouts (about 1lb before trimming the ends)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or avocado oil
- ¼ teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
- 1 oz shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seed kernels
- Soak the shredded sprouts in a large bowl of cold water for about 3 minutes.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat until shimmering.
- Drain the Brussels sprouts and add them to the pan.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes without stirring.
- Remove the lid, stir, and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes or until softened. The cooking time will depend on the thickness of your sprouts.
- Top with parmesan cheese and sunflower seeds.
- Add salt to taste, then serve immediately.
Soaking the Brussels sprouts before cooking prevents them from burning before softening. It also helps steam the Brussels sprouts in the pan.
Keywords: Easy Sautéed Brussels Sprouts
Be sure not to overcook the sprouts or they’ll become soggy. Depending on how thick your sprouts are, these could be ready after just 5 minutes of cooking!
Brussels sprouts are rich in Vitamin K, fiber, and antioxidants, so they’re a beneficial addition to your plate! This recipe is a quick and easy side dish to pair with your favorite protein.
Looking for a main dish to serve with these Brussels sprouts? Here are a few ideas:
- 15 minute chickpea gyros– these are a reader favorite because they’re incredibly simple but so flavorful!
- Avocado salad sandwiches– creamy avocado and salty feta are a tasty combination in these meatless sandwiches!
- Grilled halloumi sandwiches– another 15-minute favorite, these sandwiches will make your cheesy dreams come true.