Do you ever find yourself wishing you could make cookies but you’re short on ingredients? Maybe you forgot to buy baking soda or you’re out of eggs. Maybe you used the last of the vanilla and forgot to replace the bottle. We’ve all been there. Luckily these cookies are just three ingredients: butter, flour, and powdered sugar. That’s it!
Tips for the perfect 3 ingredient shortbread cookies
- Make sure your butter is softened but not melted.
- Be sure to bake these in the top of your oven as the cookies have a tendency to brown on the bottom.
- If your oven has a convection setting, you can use that for more even baking, but you may need to cut down on the baking time by a minute or two.
- These cookies aren’t super sweet so if you like a sweeter flavor, add an extra tablespoon of powdered sugar, or a splash of vanilla. These cookies are also delicious with a little frosting on top!
- These cookies do have a crumbly texture, so be careful when removing them from the pan. Be sure they’re cooled before transferring.
Keep mixing until one large dough ball is formed. The dough might be a bit sticky when you’re finished mixing, so I like to let it chill in the fridge for a few minutes. Then you can roll the dough into balls and drop onto a baking sheet. The dough should not be sticky or crumbly.
The cookies won’t spread much, so it’s ok if you place them close together on the baking sheet!
In case you’re wondering, I tried making a version of these with gluten free flour but I do not recommend it. These cookies tend to be a bit crumbly with regular flour, so with gluten free flour they completely fell apart. Stick to all-purpose flour for this one! If you do want a gluten free cookie recipe, try these gluten free chocolate chip cookies!Print
Makes 8-10 small cookies. You can add a splash of vanilla extract or some sprinkles if you want to spice it up!
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened but not melted
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Move the oven rack to the top position.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add all the ingredients into a bowl and mix for 4-5 minutes until the dough is completely incorporated. I used a stand mixer on low. You could use a hand mixer, if needed.
- Scoop into tablespoons onto a cookie sheet and bake for 11-13 minutes until they just begin to brown on the bottom.
- Let cool before removing them from the pan.
If using unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt.
Be sure to bake these in the top of your oven as the cookies have a tendency to brown on the bottom. If your oven has a convection setting, you can use that for more even baking, but you may need to cut down on the baking time by a minute or two.
Keywords: 3 ingredient shortbread cookies
This simple little recipe only makes about 8-10 cookies but you could easily double or triple it if you wanted to make a larger batch. A small batch was just perfect for us.
I like dusting the cookies with powdered sugar but they’re also delicious with a swipe of frosting on top!