I know what you’re thinking. Vegan and gluten free chocolate chip cookies?
Do they taste like cardboard? Do I need a dozen ingredients? Are they going to be complicated? No, no, and no. These are even easier than those Toll House chocolate chip cookies we all grew up eating. And they’re soft, chewy, and… dare I say it? A little bit healthier.
Especially if you’re looking for a low carb, vegan, or gluten-free option. Since these cookies are made with almond meal rather than flour, they’re lower in carbs and higher in healthy fat and protein. This means you’ll actually be full after you eat one and you’ll be less tempted to eat the whole pan. (Although they are good, so I can’t promise you won’t eat them all in a day.)Print
Vegan and Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
This recipe makes 10 small cookies. You can easily double it if you want to make more!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 10
- Category: Dessert
- 1 1/2 cup almond meal (finely ground almonds)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp grapeseed oil or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup agave or maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Combine the almond meal, salt, and baking soda in a small bowl.
- Stir in the oil, sweetener, and vanilla until mixed.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- On a baking sheet, drop rounded teaspoons onto the pan. It should make about 10 small cookies.
- Flatten them out a bit with the back of the spoon. (They won’t spread much.)
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, checking after 7 minutes. These can burn easily so make sure you keep a close eye on them. Depending on your oven, you may need to move them to the top rack so the bottoms don’t burn.
- Let sit for a few minutes to cool, then enjoy!
It took a couple of tries to get the recipe just right but I loved how these turned out. They’re a denser, chewier texture than some cookies, thanks to the almond meal. If you like a chewy cookie, you must try these. I promise, even if you’re not vegan or gluten free, you’ll love them!
And I love how easy they are! I literally threw these together in just a few minutes. We were doing so many house projects on Saturday but I squeezed a batch of these in between replacing the toilet and taking down a ceiling fan. It was a productive weekend thanks to my handy husband. He also finished fixing our bikes so we squeezed in a bike ride before the rain came on Saturday. It’s been a fun way to enjoy the outdoors! Of course, after biking I worked up an appetite… and I needed a cookie. 😉