Vegan and Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
These chocolate chip cookies are made with just 7 ingredients, and they’re gluten-free, oil-free, and vegan! If you’re looking for a tasty dessert that everyone can enjoy, these cookies are perfect!
I know what you’re thinking. Vegan and gluten-free chocolate chip cookies? Do they taste like cardboard? Do I need a dozen ingredients? Are they going to be complicated? No, no, and no. Plus, these cookies are super easy to make! All you need is a bowl and a spoon! These cookies are soft, chewy, and… dare I say it? A little bit healthier.
There’s nothing better than a chocolate chip cookie fresh out of the oven. And since these cookies are vegan and gluten-free, anyone can enjoy one!
Tips for perfect chocolate chip cookies
- These cookies don’t spread much, so it helps to flatten them down a bit before baking.
- Be sure to use dairy-free chocolate chips to keep these cookies 100% vegan. I like the Enjoy Life brand!
- Bake them on the top or middle rack of the oven. They can brown quickly, so keep a close eye on them!
Since these cookies are made with almond flour rather than regular flour, they’re slightly lower in carbs and higher in healthy fat and protein. This means you’ll actually be full after you eat one, and you’ll be less tempted to eat the whole pan. (Although they are delicious, so I can’t promise you won’t eat them all in a day.)
What is almond flour?
Almond flour is simply finely ground almonds. You can also use almond meal for this recipe, which is a more coarsely ground flour. I love Bob’s Red Mill and Blue Diamond brands, but you can also find Almond Meal at Aldi and Trader Joe’s!
- I prefer to use applesauce in these cookies to keep them oil-free. But if you’d like to substitute oil instead, you can use a natural oil like avocado oil or grapeseed oil. I don’t recommend replacing with olive oil, or it will have more of a savory taste.
- You can use agave or maple syrup to sweeten these cookies. You can also use honey, but keep in mind that they would no longer be vegan-friendly.
- Be sure to use dairy-free chocolate chips to keep these cookies vegan. I like the Enjoy Life brand of dairy-free chips.
Vegan and Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
- Diet: Vegan
These chocolate chip cookies are made with just 7 ingredients and they’re completely oil free, gluten free and vegan! If you’re looking for a tasty dessert that everyone can enjoy, these cookies are perfect!
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons applesauce (see note)
- 1/4 cup agave or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup dairy free mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the almond meal, salt, and baking soda in a small bowl.
- Stir in the applesauce, sweetener, and vanilla until mixed.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of dough onto a baking pan. It should make about 12 small cookies.
- Flatten them out a bit with the back of the spoon. (They won’t spread much.)
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, checking after 9 minutes. These can burn easily so make sure you keep a close eye on them. Depending on your oven, you may need to move them to the top rack so the bottoms don’t burn.
- Let sit for a few minutes to cool, then enjoy!
I prefer to use applesauce in these cookies to keep them oil free. But if you’d like to substitute oil instead, you can use a natural oil like avocado oil or grapeseed oil.
Be sure to use dairy-free chocolate chips to keep these cookies vegan. I like the Enjoy Life brand of dairy-free chips.
Keywords: vegan and gluten free chocolate chip cookies
It took a few tries to get the recipe just right, but I loved how these turned out. If you like a soft, chewy cookie, you must try these. I promise, even if you’re not vegan or gluten-free, you’ll love them!
What’s your favorite kind of cookie?
This post was originally published in August 2016. Updated April 2020.
These are AMAZING
These are great! I made them this morning with my girls and they said they are so good we have to save the recipe! So nice to have a simple, tasty, healthier chocolate chip cookie 🙂
I’m allergic to dairy, eggs, gluten, and soy and love to bake so it’s really hard to find delicious baked goods that are free of said ingredinets! I’ve tried many vegan and gluten free cookie recipes and they always tasted like granola or bark XD. THEESE ARE SO GOOD! They taste like a cookie! And they are so easy to make!
Just wanted to stop by and let you know you’re featured on Inspire Me Monday! Congrats! 🙂 Haha – just baking some cookies between replacing a toilet and taking down a fan – no big deal 😉
Hahaha thank you for the feature!!
YUMMMMM…I’ll take 20!!
I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/
Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!
These look really good! I will have to try making these. Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday.
Awesome Chocolate Chip Cookies, Yummy! Hope you are having a fantastic day and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
Come Back Soon,