These banana chocolate chip muffins are easy to make and filled with healthy ingredients like Greek yogurt and honey! These are a delicious way to start the day.
I found myself with some ripe bananas on the countertop and I decided a muffin recipe was in order! Chocolate chip muffins are my favorite so I whipped up these healthy muffins.
These muffins are easy to make and they’re only 130 calories each- even with a generous sprinkle of chocolate chips! I like to save a tablespoon of chocolate chips to sprinkle on once the muffins are in the baking tin ready to go in the oven.
Tips for Baking Muffins
- Once you’ve removed the pan from the oven, take the muffins out of the pan to cool. If you leave them in the pan, they’ll steam and it can make the muffins soggy.
- You can use any chocolate chips you like, but I prefer to use dark chocolate mini chips. I like getting a little bit of chocolate in each bite!
- Do not overmix the batter! Stirring too much will make the muffins too dense.
- For a lower sugar option, you can substitute chopped walnuts or pecans in place of chocolate chips.
- I like to use almond milk in this recipe but you can substitute it for dairy milk, coconut milk, or soymilk.
- Feel free to substitute agave or maple syrup in place of honey.
Why You Must Let The Batter Rest
It’s critical to allow the batter to rest for at least 10 minutes. This allows the flour to absorb some of the moisture of the yogurt so you end up with deliciously fluffy and moist muffins. If you skip this step, the muffins can be soggy or dense. Don’t rush it!Print
These banana chocolate chip muffins are easy to make and filled with healthy ingredients like Greek yogurt! These are a deliciously healthy way to start the day.
- 3 small very ripe bananas (1 cup mashed)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Mash up the bananas and then stir in the honey and melted coconut oil.
- Beat the egg into the mixture, and then add the milk, greek yogurt, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients and chocolate chips to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Do NOT over mix.
- Let the batter rest for at least 10 minutes. This is critical so the flour can absorb some of the moisture.
- Using a 1/4 cup scoop, add the batter to each muffin tin. It should make about 16 muffins.
- Baking for 15-17 minutes or until lightly brown.
It’s important to let the batter rest for at least 10 minutes. This is critical so the flour can absorb some of the moisture.
Keywords: Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
How to Store Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Store the muffins in an airtight container for up to 4 days. You can also freeze the muffins for up to 1 month. Keep them in a freezer-safe zipper top bag.
Looking for other muffin recipes? Here are a few of my favorites:
Have you been baking anything recently?
This post was originally published December 2014. Updated May 2020.