We’ve been “sugar free” for a few weeks now and my sugar cravings have subsided a lot but every once in awhile, I just want some chocolate. So after being inspired by this recipe from the I Quit Sugar website, I decided to make my own version. Admittedly, these are not necessarily sweet. If you have been eating sugar on the regular then you might want to add a little sweetner. To me, they honestly tasted chocolate-y but I think if your tastebuds are used to something sweeter, you may want to add something. I Quit Sugar would recommend a tablespoon of brown rice syrup but maple syrup or agave would work, too.
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup almond meal
- ¼ cup unsweetened protein powder (optional)
- ¼ cup cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
- Pinch of sea salt
- Sweetener to taste (optional)
- Melt the coconut oil and almond butter in a small bowl.
- Add the vanilla and stir until combined.
- If you want to add a sweetner, stir it in here. You could use 1 tbsp maple syrup or a few drops of liquid stevia. I didn't add any extra but if you're used to eating sugar, you'll want to add a little something.
- Stir in protein powder, cocoa powder and salt.
- Pop it into the freezer for a few minutes until it hardens a bit.
- Shape into small balls and roll in cocoa powder to coat.
- Store these in the freezer!
- It should make about 10-12 balls. They'll have around 120 calories each.
Alex thought these tasted a little bitter, since I didn’t add any sweetener to ours, but I loved them! With a pinch of stevia or a bit of honey, I’m sure these would taste plenty sweet for anyone. I’m going to make another batch of these to store in the freezer for when a chocolate craving hits. These are packed with healthy fats and protein!
Craving more healthy chocolate? Try one of these:
We haven’t decided how long we’re going to continue this sugar free thing but I think we’ll give it another week or two. I don’t feel super different although I do think I’ve had more energy in the afternoons!
We’ve got a busy weekend ahead so I’m glad it’s Friday! We might try to tackle a few house projects but I think it’ll be a social activity kind of weekend. Those are my favorite kind of weekend. 😉