Yesterday afternoon, Alex tried to throw away a banana. Some might have said it had gone bad but I quickly snatched it out of his hands since it was the perfect baking banana. (I might have also shrieked “No!!! Don’t throw that away!” Being married to me is an adventure, I’m sure.) Unfortunately, I didn’t have a lot of other bananas so I figured I’d have to try a single serving option.
My first thought was, “I bet there is already a single serving recipe on Pinterest.” And their was. And it looked great. And I tried it. And it overflowed and exploded all over my microwave. Awesome.
So I decided to make up my own recipe, something basic without lots of fancy flours, eggs, or protein powders. Just ooey, gooey, banana bread. It also decided to make it in the microwave because sometimes you need it now. Are you with me on this? Ok, let’s go.
- ½ very ripe banana
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar (lightly packed)
- 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp mini dark chocolate chips (optional, but delicious of course)
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- In a small bowl, mash your banana.
- Combine with brown sugar.
- In a small ramekin, melt the coconut oil. I melted mine in my ramekin that I was making the banana bread in. (Hello, already greased ramekin!)
- Add the oil to the banana mixture and let cool for a minute, so you don't melt the chocolate chips.
- Stir in the vanilla, chocolate chips and flour until well mixed.
- Add in the baking soda and baking powder and stir until just combined. (Do not over mix!)
- Add into your greased ramekin. Make sure that it is only about half full, since the bread will rise.
- Microwave on 50% power for 2 minutes if you light it ooey-gooey, or 2½-3min if you like it more done.
Alex thought it was a little too gooey but that’s just how I like it. If you want it more bread-like, just cook it for an extra 30 seconds or so, as noted above. Seriously, this was like dessert in a dish.
If you love single serving recipes, try this single serving deep dish chocolate chip cookie, which actually looks oddly similar to this banana bread! (What can I say… I love chocolate chips.)
Banana bread in 5 minutes? Yes please. I’ll certainly be making this again soon.