If you’re like me, you’re currently getting back into the swing of things. Back to work, back to a routine. As much as I wish the holidays could go on forever, I do get excited about tackling a new year! As cliche as it is, January is usually the month when people start thinking a little bit more about exercising and eating healthy, and I love that! Nothing makes me happier than seeing people eat their vegetables 😉
So while our pantry was a bit empty yesterday, I did whip up a new chili that is super healthy, spicy, and delicious! It’s also very easy to make and has endless options for toppings. So get cooking!
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth if you like)
- 1 can white kidney beans (cannellini beans)
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 cup salsa verde (I used a brand called Herdez)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder (optional)
- 1 avocado
- ¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Tortilla chips (optional, for garnish)
- Add the broth, kidney beans, chickpeas, and salsa to a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in the salt, cumin, and chili powder.
- Dice the avocado just before serving.
- When you're ready to eat it, divide it into bowls and top with avocado and cilantro.
- If you're saving the leftovers, leave out the avocado and cilantro until serving.
Alex and I ate ours with some tortilla chips sprinkled on top and it ended up being a pretty filling lunch. It feels good to start the new year with a healthy dish! I’ll be packing the leftovers with me for lunch.
I also got myself back into working out. It’s so hard to get back into a routine when you’ve taken some time off, but it feels amazing when you do! I hadn’t had a truly exhausting workout in awhile, but Jillian Michael’s Shed & Shred had me begging for mercy.
I definitely need a workout buddy now that I don’t have roommates anymore. It’s hard to make it to the end of those DVDs without some accountability! Anyone want to come join me?