First of all, let me say how much I absolutely love the Fall weather. Could it be more perfect? Alex and I have been taking long walks in the evening before the sun goes down, and it’s the perfect way to squeeze in a little exercise while enjoying the fresh air. Also, walking after eating aids digestion! (Win-win!) Try it. In the mornings, I’ve been waking up before the sun, just to enjoy a cup of coffee and catch up on blog stuff. You can’t beat a quiet cup of coffee.
So, I know I say this all the time, but recently I’m focusing on getting more protein and less carbs in my diet. I absolutely love bread, chips, crackers, etc. but they don’t fill me up the way protein and fiber do. So I’ve started cooking more proteins at night, such as tempeh, tofu, beans, etc. The other night, I wanted to do a stir fry, but I wanted a sauce more substantial than soy sauce, so I whipped up something lightly based off of my peanut sauce recipe.
Tahini Stir Fry Sauce
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (or liquid aminos)
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- pinch red pepper flakes
- dash of black pepper
- I added in the carrots and pepper and let them cook for 2 minutes in a little bit of vegetable broth and coconut oil.
- Then I sliced the tempeh and added it in with the broccoli.
- I cooked for a few more minutes, adding a little more broth if the pan started to get dry.
- After all the veggies were cooked, I stirred in the tahini sauce. I wasn't sure what it would taste like, but it actually came out really well.
- It's a more mild-salty flavor (compared with super salty soy sauce) so I liked that a lot. The maple syrup gave it just a touch of sweetness, and the pepper flakes were a nice kick. I like things really spicy, so I used a lot of red pepper flakes.
This recipe makes about 1/4 cup sauce, which was plenty for the two of us!
You could certainly add in a little brown rice to this recipe, and it would be even more filling, but with just 2 oz of tempeh and a few handfuls of vegetables, I was full for the rest of the night. Protein and fiber have a way of doing that!