Hi, I’m Liz, and I like carbs.
Like a lot. I don’t know if you noticed… but I eat a lot of them. I know, I know, some people think carbs are evil. But I think they’re fantastic. I’ve tried cutting back. But the result is a grumpy, cranky girl who wants to eat your head off. Not pretty.
Give me a plate of cheese and crackers, and I’ll eat the crackers and leave you the cheese.
And yet, I don’t buy bread, like ever. The only reason I’ve been having a slice of toast in the morning is because Udi’s sent me some. Wanna hear something really shameful? I’ve had a bread maker for like 3 years, and I’ve only used it maybe… once. Oops.
So when we had that random snow storm on Monday (did I mention its 73 degrees today?) I spent the afternoon in the kitchen, baking. I browsed some recipes for inspiration and ended up creating this:
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup almond milk
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl mix together the honey, vegetable oil and milk.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray and then scoop the dough into the pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes. It won't rise a whole lot, so it'll be very sense, but it's delicious!