I’m so excited to share today’s guest post with you because Anna is a local blogger here in Richmond! She’s a food lover like me and she offered to share her recipe for quick and easy purple green beans! Please welcome Anna to the blog!
Farmers Markets. I love them. Even when they are busting with people and you just want to scream, “FIRE!”, so that the crowds will part and you can lazily stroll the stalls, touch all the fresh fruit and veg., and just dream up the recipes. But, creating mass chaos so that you can get the choicest of basil stems is not the best socially minded action. Thus, I show decorum and just fuss at people under my breath.
My local Farmers Market, South of the James, is open year round and it might be the Mrs. Yoder’s Donuts that keep me coming back rather than the abundance of beautiful organic produce, put to the public, it’s the beautiful organic produce. And maybe the country style sausage biscuits. Maybe. On my last trip I looked upon a sea of green beans and saw these amazing deep purple ones. My hand went straight for the deep purple hue. Because, different is beautiful and also- eat the rainbow!
Earlier this year, I learned my favorite way to prepare green beans through one of those home delivery deals. It was either Blue Apron or Home Chef, I can’t remember. The preparation is so simple, so quick and so stinking delicious that it has me chomping down a double (let’s face it- all of them) size portion into my mouth. While like Liz, I heart vegetables, sometimes I other stuff myself on cheese and carbs and, Ack- meat. But, not with these green beans. And the ease and short time preparation make them a no brainer weeknight go to for busy people who need a vegetable side dish. And if you have some leftover, they’d make a great addition to a salad, but who are we kidding? Leftovers. Pah!Print
Quick and Easy Purple Green Beans
These quick and easy purple green beans are a delicious summer recipe!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 6 cups green beans
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Wash your beans then snap the ends off of all the beans. You are taking off about 1/4-1/2 inch
- depending on how long the skinny tales are. Discard the ends.
- Heat the olive oil and water a heavy bottom, large pan or dutch oven over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the green beans. Stir to coat.
- Let them sit for 5 minutes or so. You should start to hear them pop.
- When you hear some popping, stir, then cover the pot and let them cook for 5-7 more minutes.
- Uncover, check doneness (the longer they cook, they less crisp they are).
- Sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Serve warm and try not to eat all of them as you bring them to the table.
- Calories: 85
Keywords: Purple green beans
*Who knew that purple green beans turn green when you cook them? I didn’t either. You learn something new every farmer’s market.
-Anna of Sugar and Sassafras
Looking for another green bean recipe? Try this one!