This Rosemary Parmesan Popcorn is a salty, savory snack. It’s easy to make and it’s a perfect recipe for a quick bite!
I had the fancy idea to attempt a truffle popcorn recipe because it sounds beautiful and sophisticated and delicious. So after a very long day of work that involved driving 200+ miles (between Richmond and DC), I found myself driving from grocery store to grocery store at 9:30 at night, realizing that no store open past 9 pm carries truffle oil. Bummer.
But my heart was set on popcorn and I even reached for a bag of that “cheese” popcorn stuff that I loved as a child (and admittedly still love today) but put it back on the shelf since I couldn’t pronounce half the ingredients on the bag. That would not suffice.
I went home and decided I would make my own popcorn, truffle oil or no truffle oil. Besides, sometimes things are best when they’re kept simple. Of course, I had to fancy it up just a little.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot.
- Toss in a couple of kernels and wait until they start to sizzle and pop.
- Add in the rest of the kernels and give the pot a good shake to distribute the oil.
- Shake gently over the heat until it looks like most of the kernels have popped.
- Immediately sprinkle with parmesan and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle on bits of fresh rosemary over top.
If you’re making this for a group of youngsters, you may want to leave out the rosemary. I think it adds a nice depth to the flavor, though! The parmesan gives it that lick-your-fingers nostalgia you would get from eating the store bought kind and you actually know what that powder is. Win-win. Besides, popcorn is best when it’s hot off the stove! Now I have to restrain myself from eating it for breakfast.