This chickpea salad sandwich is like a veggie version of “tuna” but with extra flavor from the fresh herbs!
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons parsley leaves with tender stems
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt (see note for vegan option)
- 1/4 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 15oz can chickpeas
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 4 Slices whole grain or sourdough bread
- Add the basil, parsley, yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, and olive oil in a food processor or blender and blend for 30 seconds or until mostly smooth.
- Add half the chickpeas and pulse for 10-15 seconds until slightly chunky.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the rest of the chickpeas. Mash with a fork to combine.
- Stir in the celery and add salt to taste.
- Divide the chickpea salad between two sandwiches and serve immediately.
To make this vegan, you can substitute the Greek yogurt for almond milk or coconut milk yogurt, just be sure it’s not sweetened. Add an extra teaspoon of lemon juice to give it more tangy flavor.
Keywords: chickpea salad sandwich