I’ve been all about the apples lately. I’ve also been on a bit of a granola kick. I’ve been enjoying it on top of my yogurt bowls as well as straight out of the bag. I decided to try making granola with applesauce in order to get those clumpy pieces without needing to using so much oil. But let’s just clarify, this recipe is not low fat. Instead, it’s packed with healthy fats thanks to walnuts and a bit of coconut oil. So while there isn’t a lot of oil in this recipe, it is still quite satisfying thanks to those walnuts! Alright, let’s get baking.
Cinnamon Applesauce Granola
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 2 cups
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup agave (or honey if you’re not vegan)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Combine the applesauce, agave, coconut oil, and vanilla.
- Stir in the cinnamon and salt. Make sure it’s well combined.
- Stir in the oats and walnuts until well coated.
- Spray a large, rimmed baking sheet with coconut oil or non-stick spray.
- Spread out the granola into an even layer.
- Bake on the middle rack for 12-15 minutes. (You want it to just begin to brown on the bottom.)
- Gently flip over with a spatula. If you like really clumpy granola, be careful not to break it apart.
- Bake for another 12-15 minutes until the granola is crunchy.
- Set aside and let cool.
- Transfer to an airtight container to store it.
Keywords: Cinnamon granola
This granola smelled amazing coming out of the oven, thanks to all the cinnamon. I made this on Saturday night while Alex was watching football and I found myself going back for another handful. Watch out, this stuff is addicting! I ended up putting it on my yogurt bowl the next morning and packing some for the road when I went to our Northern Virginia office. It makes a perfect snack!