Vegan Mashed Cauliflower
This creamy mashed cauliflower will remind you of mashed potatoes, but it’s lower in carbs and calories! It’s a great way to enjoy a satisfying side dish while filling your plate with veggies.
Why I Love This Recipe
I’m from the midwest and I grew up eating mashed potatoes at least once a week. I still love mashed potatoes, but these days I find myself trying to find side dishes that are a little bit lighter. This cauliflower mash is a great option when you’re craving some creamy comfort food because it has a similar flavor and texture. But cauliflower is lower in calories and carbohydrates compared to potatoes. Now, you know I love carbs, so don’t think for a second I’m giving up potatoes! But sometimes it’s helpful to have a lower carb option to help balance out my plate.
Vegan Mashed Cauliflower Ingredients
- Cauliflower– I recommend using fresh cauliflower. I haven’t tested this recipe with frozen cauliflower.
- Vegan Butter– I like Earth Balance or Miyokos, but if you’re not trying to keep this vegan, you can use regular butter.
- Garlic powder– I prefer garlic powder over fresh garlic in this recipe, because the flavor is a bit more mild.
- Salt & pepper– It may sound obvious but salt and pepper are a must for enhancing the flavor of this cauliflower mash!
How to Make Mashed Cauliflower
Thanks to the food processor, this recipe is quick and easy to make! In a large pot, add the chopped cauliflower and 2 cups of water. Steam the cauliflower for 10-12 minutes until fork tender. Add the cauliflower to a food processor.
Add two tablespoons of vegan butter and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder and blend until smooth.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
What to Serve with Vegan Mashed Cauliflower
This mashed cauliflower dish would be delicious with this Chipotle Black Bean Burger! You could also serve this cauliflower mash in place of mashed potatoes, paired with your favorite protein.
How to Store Leftovers
You can keep these leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days. I like to store my leftovers in these Pyrex containers because they can go from the fridge to the microwave. To reheat, microwave on 50% power 1 minute at a time until heated. I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
More Cauliflower Recipes
Need more ideas for using cauliflower? Here are 10 ways to use cauliflower crumbles! Or try one of these cauliflower recipes:Print
This creamy cauliflower mash will remind you of mashed potatoes, but it’s lower in carbs and calories! It’s a great way to enjoy a satisfying side dish while filling your plate with veggies.
- 1 large head of cauliflower (about 2 lbs) chopped into 1″ pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter (or regular butter, if not vegan)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add the cauliflower to a large pot and add 2 cups of water.
- Cook on high, steaming the cauliflower for 10-12 minutes until fork tender.
- Drain the cauliflower and transfer to a food processor.
- Add in the butter, garlic powder, and salt and blend for 1-2 minutes until mostly smooth.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
Keywords: cauliflower mash