On Monday, I gave you guys a quick recap of our vacation in Mexico, as well as the insane travel issues we had trying to get back home. So let’s pick up where we left off… The first part of Saturday morning was spent in the car, as we drove back from Philadelphia. We arrived home around 3:30 am and went straight to bed. We slept in until 9:30 which was much later than normal for us but we had to get in some sleep. Although we were dragging a bit, we decided that Saturday would be a good day to get a lot of stuff done. I started out with a pretty simple breakfast of yogurt + berries. And coffee. Lots of coffee.

greek yogurt just blueberries

I unpacked my suitcase and then tackled the kitchen. I got out the steam cleaner and when to town on the fridge. No more sticky shelves! Alex, being the wonderful husband he is, cleaned both his car and my car. I haaaate cleaning out my car so I was pretty thankful to have someone else doing it!

Then, around 3:00, things got interesting.

When Alex went downstairs to put in a load of laundry, he noticed water on the floor. Lots of water. Water coming directly from our very old water heater.

Uh oh.

So the game plan for the weekend shifted a bit. We turned off the water, took a break for lunch, and brainstormed the plan. Clearly, we needed to deal with this but first? Lunch.

plain salad

While I’m definitely a kale fanatic, every once in a while I find myself wanting a super simple salad. Romaine, carrots, cucumbers, croutons, and yes, ranch dressing. (I know, I know. What?) But Brianna’s actually makes a really delicious ranch dressing that doesn’t contain MSG or corn syrup. Yes I’m aware that Ranch isn’t loaded with superfoods and nutritional benefits but it tasted great and was exactly what I was craving. Plus I got a giant bag of romaine on sale at Kroger (anyone else love those manager’s specials?!) so I went to town on all that lettuce.

I ran some errands while Alex did some YouTube research on installing water heaters and then we decided to tackle it. Alex and I made a run to Home Depot to pick out a new one, grab some supplies, and ask the guy at Home Depot a million questions. (Who doesn’t love a Saturday night at Home Depot?) Every 10 minutes, I thought about how lucky I am to have a husband who is an engineer. Phew.

We got everything home and then realized that we only had one monkey wrench and I was not strong enough to help Alex pry off one of the old pipes. So we called in backup and my brother came down with a wrench to help us get the old water heater disconnected.

Needless to say, dinner didn’t happen until about 9:30pm. Chipotle to the rescue.


Brown rice, black beans, veggies, tomato salsa, corn salsa, guacamole, & lettuce. That’s perfection right there.

Saturday turned out to be a bit of an exhausting day but thanks to my husband, my brother, and some phone calls to my dad… we were up and running by Sunday afternoon! Our Saturday didn’t go exactly as planned but truthfully, it was kind of a fun day!

Have you had any “home disasters”?

I’m linking up to What I Ate Wednesday!