Over the weekend I had a pretty epic salad. One of those salads that doesn’t make you feel like you missed out on the main event. It was the main event. I knew I needed to create this amazing salad at home but one of the critical ingredients was cinnamon sugar roasted pumpkin seeds and I couldn’t find them anywhere! I checked the market where I ate the epic salad, as well as a couple of other grocery stores, but no luck. But as it turns out, they’re SO easy to make. I snagged some pumpkin seeds from the bulk bin at Kroger which were super cheap. I got a whole cup for $1.15! So these little guys won’t break your budget either. (Pecans, I’m giving you the side eye here.)
Just a quick note, if you’ve wondered why the pumpkin seeds (sometimes called “pepitas”) in your trail mix or cereal don’t look like the ones you scooped out of your pumpkin, that’s because typically the kind that you remove from a jack-o-lantern are covered in a white husk, or “shell”, and the little pepitas are inside there. Fun fact.
Ok are you ready for the easiest recipe ever? Good.Print
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp butter (or Earth Balance if you’re vegan!)
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 300.
- Melt the butter and stir it with the cinnamon and salt in a small bowl.
- Add in the pumpkin seeds and stir until coated.
- Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray (or spray foil if you want to skip washing a pan!) and spread out the pumpkin seeds into one layer.
- They might want to clump together at first so spread them out as best you can and then after a few minutes in the oven, you’ll be able to just shake the tray a bit to get them into one layer.
- Roast in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with sugar. Stir a bit to coat.
You could eat these on their own, toss them into a trail mix, sprinkle them on some yogurt, or add them into a salad. I’ll be playing around with recreating that salad recipes so stay tuned! (Hint: Goat cheese will be involved. Mmmm.)