Almond Flour Applesauce Muffins
These almond flour applesauce muffins are soft and tender. Made with natural sweetener and minimal oil, these muffins are healthy and filling. Try these lower-carb muffins for breakfast or a snack!
I have a recipe for almond flour muffins in my cookbook that I absolutely love. The only problem is, it calls for canned pumpkin and that can be hard to find in the grocery store during the summer! I decided to try the recipe with applesauce instead of pumpkin and I’m thrilled to say it worked perfectly!
I love all types of muffins but chocolate chip muffins are my favorite. Can you blame me? It’s like eating dessert for breakfast! If you’re not a chocolate fan like I am, you can also make these muffins with chopped walnuts, instead of chocolate chips. Or if you’re looking for a fruity recipe, try these strawberry almond flour muffins.
Tips for the perfect almond flour applesauce muffins
- The muffins will brown significantly. Don’t worry- you haven’t burned them!
- Be sure to use room temperature ingredients, so the melted coconut oil doesn’t solidify when mixed.
- To quickly get your eggs to room temperature, place them in a bowl of warm water for 2-3 minutes.
- Feel free to use any chocolate chips you like. I prefer mini chocolate chips to get a little chocolate in every bite!
I recommend using a 1/4 cup measuring scoop to spoon the batter into the pan so you can fill the muffin cups evenly. I use paper liners so I don’t have to worry about them sticking to the pan. Plus, it makes clean up a breeze!
Are Almond Flour Muffins Healthy?
Yes, absolutely! Almond flour is filled with protein, fiber, and healthy fats. That means these muffins will keep you full and satisfied. The applesauce helps these muffins stay deliciously moist without the need for a lot of oil or butter. All you need is a little bit of coconut oil! If you wanted to make these lower in sugar, you could skip the chocolate chips.
Almond Flour Muffin Substitution Ideas
- You can make these into mini muffins if you prefer. In a mini muffin pan, add 2 tablespoons of batter per muffin and bake for 12-13 minutes.
- You can use chopped walnuts or pecans in place of chocolate chips for a less sweet version.
- Feel free to use agave, honey, or maple syrup for the sweetener. I’ve tested all three and you won’t notice much of a difference between them.
How to Store Leftover Muffins
Keep these muffins in an airtight container at room temperature. Thanks to the applesauce, these muffins will stay nice and moist for up to 5 days!
Where to Buy Almond Flour
Look for almond flour near the specialty flours or in the gluten-free section at the grocery store. Bob’s Red Mill is usually pretty easy to find at most larger grocery stores. You can also find it on Amazon, at Trader Joe’s, or at Aldi!Print
Almond Flour Applesauce Muffins
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Breakfast
These almond flour applesauce muffins are soft and tender. Made with natural sweetener and minimal oil, these muffins are healthy and filling. Try these lower carb muffins for breakfast or a snack!
- 2/3 cup applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the applesauce, egg, honey, melted coconut oil, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar.
- Add the almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips.
- Mix until just combined.
- Scoop ¼ cup of batter into each muffin liner.
- Bake for 19- 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
The muffins will brown significantly. Don’t worry- you haven’t burned them!
Be sure to use room temperature ingredients, so the melted coconut oil doesn’t solidify when mixed.
Feel free to use any chocolate chips you like. I prefer mini chocolate chips to get a little chocolate in every bite!
Keywords: Almond Flour Applesauce Muffins
I think adding cinnamon would pep up the taste.
Question, what type of applesauce did you use? Was it regular or unsweetened? Thanks.
I used unsweetened!
Thanks for quick response, can’t wait to try them. I am going to give them a try this weekend.
I’m always in search of such appealing snacks for my kids! They’d surely love these1
These muffins look superb and so simple to make with awesome instructions to follow!
These are the best muffins! Thanks for the tip on bringing eggs to room temperature quickly, I always forget to take them out of the fridge ahead of time!
These muffins are so moist and tender, perfect for breakfast with my coffee in the morning. 🙂
Love healthy muffin recipes and this one sounds so good. I love the idea of using nuts instead of chocolate chips too! Pinning for later!
One of my best tea time snack. This is delicious and tasty.
I am definitely a blueberry muffin girl!
I’m doing the 17-day diet right now — now ready carbs — but as soon as I’m done, I’m going to make these. They look delicious!!!