3 Ingredient Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins
These 3 ingredient chocolate chip pumpkin muffins might be the easiest muffin recipe you’ve ever tried! All you need is a can of pumpkin, a box of cake mix, and a handful of chocolate chips! Let’s get baking.
I love pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, and this recipe couldn’t be any easier! With one bowl and just a bit of mixing, you’ll have these muffins in the oven in no time.
The Best Cake Mix for Pumpkin Muffins
I’ve tried this with a lot of different mixes, from Betty Crocker to Enjoy Life. Here are a few of my favorite options:
- Vanilla Cake Mix– You can’t go wrong with vanilla! It pairs perfectly with the pumpkin for a delicious muffin.
- Chocolate Cake Mix– This makes a fudgy, chocolate pumpkin muffin.
- Spice Cake Mix– If you want more of a pumpkin flavor, a spice cake mix is perfect!
- Muffin Mix– This also works with Enjoy Life muffin mix, which is a great option if you want a gluten-free option!
How to Make 3 Ingredient Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
All you have to do is mix one 15oz can of pumpkin with one box of cake mix. You don’t need to add any additional oil, butter, eggs, or liquid. Simply mix the pumpkin and cake mix and stir in chocolate chips. It’s that easy!
How to Store Leftover Muffins
Keep the muffins in an airtight container or a zipper-top bag at room temperature. They should last 3-4 days. You can also freeze any leftovers and thaw in the microwave.
- Vegan options- Many commercial cake mixes are actually vegan. Be sure to check ingredients, but many brands like Betty Crocker and Dunkin Hines are actually vegan. Be sure to use vegan chocolate chips, if desired.
- Gluten-free option- Enjoy Life makes a great muffin mix that is perfect in this recipe! It’s gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free, and dairy-free!
- To amplify the pumpkin flavor, add 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger to the batter.
These 3 ingredient chocolate chip pumpkin muffins might just be the easiest muffin recipe you’ve ever tried! All you need is a can of pumpkin, a box of cake mix, and a handful of chocolate chips! Let’s get baking.
- 1 15oz box cake mix (see note)
- 1 15oz can of pureed pumpkin
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and/or pumpkin pie spice.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a muffin pan with paper or silicone liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pumpkin, and chocolate chips. Do NOT add any liquid, oil, or eggs.
- Feel free to add cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, or pumpkin pie spice, if you want a stronger pumpkin flavor.
- Scoop 1/3 cup of batter into each muffin tin. This recipe should make 12-14 muffins.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until a toothpick can be inserted and comes out clean.
- Let cool for 1 minute then remove from tray and place on a cooling rack.
Keywords: 3 ingredient pumpkin muffins
These 3 ingredient pumpkin muffins are sweet enough to be enjoyed as a cupcake! You could add your favorite frosting, or just sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top before baking.
Looking for more pumpkin recipes? Here are a few of my favorites!
Do you have a favorite pumpkin recipe?
This post was originally published in November 2015. Updated October 2020.