3 Ingredient Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins
These 3 ingredient chocolate chip pumpkin muffins might be the easiest muffin recipe you’ve ever tried! All you need is a can of pumpkin, a box of cake mix, and a handful of chocolate chips! Let’s get baking.
I love pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, and this recipe couldn’t be any easier! With one bowl and just a bit of mixing, you’ll have these muffins in the oven in no time. I love how easy it is to make these muffins and they feel so festive during the fall season.
Pumpkin Muffin Ingredients
- Cake Mix– I recommend using yellow cake mix or spice cake mix, but you can also use chocolate cake or even muffin mix!
- Canned Pumpkin– Be sure to use canned pureed pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix! Pumpkin pie mix has added sweetener.
- Chocolate Chips– I love adding chocolate chips but you could use walnuts or pecans instead, if you wanted a lower sugar option.
The Best Cake Mix for Pumpkin Muffins
I’ve tried this with a lot of different mixes, from Betty Crocker to Enjoy Life. Here are a few of my favorite options:
- Vanilla Cake Mix– You can’t go wrong with vanilla! It pairs perfectly with the pumpkin for a delicious muffin.
- Chocolate Cake Mix– This makes a fudgy, chocolate pumpkin muffin.
- Spice Cake Mix– If you want more of a pumpkin flavor, a spice cake mix is perfect!
- Muffin Mix– This also works with Enjoy Life muffin mix, which is a great option if you want a gluten-free option!
How to Make 3 Ingredient Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
All you have to do is mix one 15oz can of pumpkin with one box of cake mix. You don’t need to add any additional oil, butter, eggs, or liquid. Simply mix the pumpkin and cake mix and stir in chocolate chips. It’s that easy!
How to Store Leftover Muffins
Keep the muffins in an airtight container or a zipper-top bag at room temperature. They should last 3-4 days. You can also freeze any leftovers and thaw in the microwave.
- Vegan options- Many commercial cake mixes are actually vegan. Be sure to check ingredients, but many brands like Betty Crocker and Dunkin Hines are actually vegan. Be sure to use vegan chocolate chips, if desired.
- Gluten-free option- Enjoy Life makes a great muffin mix that is perfect in this recipe! It’s gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free, and dairy-free!
- To amplify the pumpkin flavor, add 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice mix to the batter. See below for a homemade pu,pkin pie spice mix recipe.
These 3 ingredient pumpkin muffins are sweet enough to be enjoyed as a cupcake! You could add your favorite frosting, or just sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top before baking.
How to Make Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
If you want to enhance the pumpkin flavor, try adding a little pumpkin spice blend to the batter! To make a pumpkin pie spice mix, combine these spices together:
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
Combine the spices in a small jar. Add 1 teaspoon of the spice mix to the batter to enhance the flavor.Print
3 Ingredient Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins [Vegan & Gluten Free]
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Dessert
These 3 ingredient chocolate chip pumpkin muffins might just be the easiest muffin recipe you’ve ever tried! All you need is a can of pumpkin, a box of cake mix, and a handful of chocolate chips! Let’s get baking.
- 1 15oz box cake mix (see note)
- 1 15oz can of pureed pumpkin
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and/or pumpkin pie spice.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a muffin pan with paper or silicone liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pumpkin, and chocolate chips. Do NOT add any liquid, oil, or eggs.
- Feel free to add cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, or pumpkin pie spice, if you want a stronger pumpkin flavor.
- Scoop 1/3 cup of batter into each muffin tin. This recipe should make 12-14 muffins.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until a toothpick can be inserted and comes out clean.
- Let cool for 1 minute then remove from tray and place on a cooling rack.
Keywords: 3 ingredient pumpkin muffins
Looking for more pumpkin recipes? Here are a few of my favorites!
Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Do you have a favorite pumpkin recipe?
This post was originally published in November 2015. Updated October 2020.
MMMMMmmmmmm I made them today as I was craving something sweet and pumpkin. I did add a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice and they are delish!
I’m glad you enjoyed them, Dana!
Love the ease of this recipe! Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday!
Bizarre, you comment on how well Norwich did and how we are unbeaten in four games and then refer to us as a ‘staggeringly poor side’. Why can’t you just admit that Norwich where the better and deserved the victory as Alex Ferguson did. We have beaten Arsenal and Spurs for a team of our size and budget that is massive. We are not performing as a ‘poor side’ at the moment.
MMM! Chocolate and pumpkins! They’re two of my favorites!
Thanks for sharing this week at the Merry Monday link party!
We hope to see you again next week!
Kate | TheOrganizedDream.com
Pumpkin and chocolate make a perfect combo in the fall! Thanks for linking up with Creative Spark; I chose your yummy muffins as one of my Feature Picks this week. Hope you’ll stop by and link up with us again; the party starts at 6am EST tomorrow!
Ha Ha! I have “forgotten” to share before too! ( wink, wink)
Just kidding, but what a great idea!
I love the 3 ingredient simplicity and they look tasty!
These look great and they sound super easy to make! I’m looking forward to trying this! Thanks for sharing!
These sound so amazing! YUM!
I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/
Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!
I love easy recipes like this! I am just obsessed with pumpkin today!
If this is cheating then sign me up! I love making baking simple. I’ve never tried enjoy life but I’ve heard great things and these look bangin’