I’m a snacker. I always have been. Maybe it’s because I love food and I’m too impatient to wait until mealtime but whatever the reason, snacks are essential in this house. Back in my high school days, I pretend that granola bars were a “healthy” snack when they were really just a few oats crammed into a chocolate covered bar held together with high fructose corn syrup. Whoops. But now I know better and now I enjoy bars that are made with real, wholesome ingredients. There are plenty of great options out there on the market but the natural ones can be a little pricey so making your own is a nice way to keep your grocery costs down! I know almond meal can be a little expensive so if you don’t want to buy it, you can replace the almond meal with more oats. Now let’s get into the recipe for these 5 ingredient granola bars!
- ⅓ cup agave (or honey if not vegan)
- ½ cup natural crunchy peanut butter
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup almond meal (ground almonds)
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spray a 9x4 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- Combine the agave and peanut butter in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the oats, almond meal, and sliced almonds until combined.
- Press into the bottom of the loaf plan.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until the edges just begin to brown. It might still be a little soft but the bars will firm up when cool.
- Make sure you let them cool completely before you slice.
- Store in an airtight container.
I love the texture of these granola bars because they’re chewy and crunchy all at the same time! They also just happen to be gluten free & vegan. If you don’t have peanut butter, sub in almond butter. If you don’t have sliced almonds, sub in more oats. The great thing about these granola bars is you can really make them with whatever you have in your pantry.
I’m thinking these would also be great with chocolate chips or coconut flakes!