After a failed attempt at quinoa cookies and many attempts at a protein cookie that doesn’t taste like you’re eating styrofoam, I’ve finally done it. I should have figured it out earlier since it’s really just a modified version of these breakfast cookies. But hey, sometimes the obvious things take awhile to notice. So let’s not wait any longer! Let’s get to the cookies. Did I mention that these protein cookies are vegan and gluten free? Yeah.
- 1 large banana
- ½ cup oats
- 2 tbsp protein powder (I used vanilla)
- 1 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.'
- In a small bowl, mash the banana until it's just slightly lumpy.
- Stir in the oats and the protein powder. I recommend vanilla but if you use plain, just add a few drops of vanilla.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and drop the cookies onto the sheet with a large spoon. It should make 5 cookies.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until set.
With the protein powder I used, mine had about 80 calories per cookie. Here are the full stats. Not bad for something that tastes like dessert! These have the ooey gooey texture of a banana based breakfast cookie (if you’ve never had one of those then you seriously need to try this recipe) so just a warning that this isn’t a crumbly type of cookie. Still, the chocolate chips make this feel like a sweet treat yet the protein powder means your stomach won’t be growling again in 10 minutes.
I’ve been packing these as a quick snack to tide be over between breakfast and lunch. It means my stomach isn’t totally growling by 11:00am! Does anyone else seem to get hungry long before lunch time?
I’m sure the rest of these will disappear over the weekend so I might have to make a second batch on Sunday. I’m excited for a packed weekend ahead!