When I was a vegan, the two things I missed were Greek yogurt and cheese. I could do without milk and eggs, but those 6 months without dairy left me loving cheese even more than before. Still, I’d never been a big spinach dip person. I typically avoided those creamy dips knowing they could run you hundreds of calories for a few spoonfuls. Luckily, Greek yogurt is a game changer and makes a creamy dip not so bad. They even make a Greek yogurt cream cheese, which you can use instead of low fat cream cheese. It’s up to you.
I made this for my sister in law’s baby shower on Saturday and every bit got eaten, so I think that’s a good sign.
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 8 oz low fat cream cheese or greek yogurt cream cheese
- 2 tbsp greek yogurt
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add in the fresh spinach.
- Turn down to medium heat, cover, and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain the spinach in a colander, and press out the excess water, and chop into pieces.
- In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese and greek yogurt until combined.
- Stir in the cheddar, parmesan, garlic powder, & salt, and mix well.
- Stir in the spinach.
- Just before serving, microwave on medium heat for 30 seconds and stir. Repeat until heated all the way through.
1/4 cup of this dip is around around 120 calories. You can see the full nutritional info here. Not bad for a creamy, cheesy, dip! Serve with baked tortilla chips or green pepper strips.
I actually spent quite a bit of the weekend enjoying delicious snacks (and wine) between getting drinks at the VMFA with my old roommates on Friday, celebrating at Aricka’s baby shower on Saturday, and spending the rest of the weekend at a women’s retreat for church. It was lovely getting so much girl time and Alex pretty much got a break from me all weekend 😉 Now I have the perfect excuse to plan a date night for just the two of us! Hmm, maybe it’s time to check Mama Zu off my bucket list…