The other day, I found myself craving chocolate & espresso… so it seemed like a good day to make Mocha Muffins, a delicious, chocolate-y vegan treat. YUM.
I’ve posted this before on my old blog, but in case you missed it, here’s the recipe!
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup apple sauce
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Dissolve the instant coffee in ¾ cup of hot water, and let cool.
- (The water has to be pretty hot for the coffee to dissolve, but you definitely want to let it cool, or else it'll mess up your chocolate!)
- Combine all your dry ingredients (everything but the coffee, vanilla and applesauce) then slowly stir in your wet ingredients.
- Spoon into a mini muffin pan and bake at 350 for ~8 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
If you use whole wheat flour and chickpea flour, each of these little treats will have a decent amount of fiber 🙂 And let me tell you, vegan or not, these can knock out a chocolate craving like nobody’s business!
These are healthy enough for breakfast, but delicious enough for dessert 😉
What’s your favorite kind of muffin?