Vegan Cake Batter Truffles
This post is sponsored by the Holiday Baking promotion at Publix. The opinions and text are all mine.
These 3 ingredient vegan cake batter truffles are a festive dessert that is perfect for the holidays! Make a tray of these tasty truffles for your family or give them as holiday gifts!
The holidays can be a busy time, but this simple dessert comes together in minutes! With just a few pantry staples from Publix, you’ll be shaping your truffles and serving these sweet treats to your friends and family.
How to Make Vegan Cake Batter Truffles
Be sure to select a vegan cake mix. Betty Crocker’s Super Moist yellow cake mix is vegan, along with many other Betty Crocker mixes! We’ll use Earth Balance in place of butter, so this recipe is completely dairy and egg-free!
Since flour is a raw ingredient, we need to heat treat the flour to kill any potential bacteria. The easiest way to do this is to simply heat the cake mix in the microwave. Add the cake mix to a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between each interval. You can use a thermometer to ensure the cake mix has reached 165 degrees for safety, or simply microwave for 1 ½ minutes to be sure.
Once your cake mix has been heated, melt ½ cup of Earth Balance Buttery Spread in the microwave. Combine the melted Earth Balance Buttery Spread and the cake mix.
Depending on the consistency, you may need to add 2-3 tablespoons of additional liquid. You can either melt additional Earth Balance Buttery Spread or stir in almond milk or water. Add ¼ cup of sprinkles to the mixture.
The mixture should resemble cookie dough. Pinch off a tablespoon of batter and roll into a ball. It should stick together without crumbling and should hold its shape.
Roll in additional sprinkles, if desired.
How to Store Vegan Cake Batter Truffles
Keep your truffles in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. You can keep these at room temperature for a few hours, but I don’t recommend leaving them out for longer than 4 hours or they’ll start to get too soft.
Cake Batter Truffle Variations
There are endless ways to tweak this recipe! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Use Devil’s Food Cake mix for chocolate truffles.
- Dip in white chocolate or dark chocolate for an even richer flavor.
- Roll in crushed walnuts or chopped chocolate.
- Stir in additional mix-ins like shredded coconut or walnuts.
- 1 15oz box Betty Crocker Cake Mix (be sure to select a vegan flavor)
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 1/4 cup Betty Crocker Sprinkles
- 2–3 tablespoons almond milk (optional)
- Add the cake mix to a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between each interval. Use a thermometer to ensure the cake mix has reached 165 degrees.
- Microwave the Earth Balance Buttery Spread for 45 seconds or until melted.
- Combine the melted Earth Balance Buttery Spread and the cake mix and stir in sprinkles.
- The mixture should resemble cookie dough. Pinch off a tablespoon of batter and roll into a ball. It should stick together without crumbling and should hold its shape.
- Roll into truffles and store in the fridge.
I picked up all of my ingredients at Publix. You can get many of the ingredients for this recipe on sale at Publix during the Holiday Baking promotion! Visit getthesavings.com/baking or head to your local Publix to see a complete list of product savings involved in the promotion! You can also grab the 12.5 Extra Savings flyer in the kiosk at the store’s entrance. If you don’t see one, simply ask customer service for one! Between now and 12/18, Smart Balance Buttery Spread is 2 for $5 and you can save $1 on any 2 Betty Crocker or Cake Mate decorating items!
What desserts are you planning to make this holiday season?