Vegan Chickpea Tortilla Soup
This vegan chickpea tortilla soup is simple to make but full of flavor! All you need are a few pantry staples and you’ll have dinner ready in minutes!
How to Make Chickpea Tortilla Soup
Saute the onion and bell pepper until softened. Add the garlic and cumin and continue to cook for 1 minute. Add the broth, tomatoes, chickpeas, and corn and simmer for 15 minutes. It’s that simple!
The Best Chickpea Tortilla Soup Toppings
I love adding tons of toppings to this soup! Here are some of my favorites:
- Tortilla strips (these are a must!)
- Cheese (I like Violife for a vegan option)
- Sour cream or yogurt (Tofutti makes great vegan sour cream!)
You can even make your own tortilla strips for the toppings!Print
This vegan chickpea tortilla soup is packed with flavor and deliciously spicy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded* and diced (Optional)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28oz can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro
- 1/2 avocado
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup tortilla strips (See below to make your own tortilla strips)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet for 30 seconds
- Add the diced onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno and cook over medium heat for 4 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, chickpeas, corn, and cumin.
- Bring to a boil and then let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- When you’re ready to serve, top with fresh cilantro, corn, avocado, and crushed tortilla chips.
Note: If you do use a jalapeno (or habanero pepper) wear gloves while you’re cutting it up! Wash your hands immediately after and be careful not to touch your eyes. The first time I cut a jalapeno, I seeded it with my bare hands and my fingers were burning the rest of the night!
Keywords: Vegan Tortilla Soup
Easy Homemade Tortilla Strips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Just slice two corn tortillas into strips with a pizza cutter or sharp knife.
- Spread the tortilla pieces in a single layer on baking sheet and spray or drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 2-3 minutes at 350 degrees until they begin to brown!
We made a batch the last time we made this soup and they were delicious.
The first time I made this, I added an extra habanero pepper to ours, and it was super spicy! If you’re not a huge fan of spice, leave it out. I think we were both sweating by the end of this dinner. Still, it was good, and an easy dinner to make with only one pot to clean!
Looking for a cheesy option? Try this cheesy tortilla soup!
What’s your favorite kind of soup?
This post was originally published in July 2013, updated October 2017.