This vegan chickpea tortilla soup is packed with flavor and deliciously spicy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded* and diced (Optional)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28oz can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro
- 1/2 avocado
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup tortilla strips (See below to make your own tortilla strips)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet for 30 seconds
- Add the diced onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno and cook over medium heat for 4 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, chickpeas, corn, and cumin.
- Bring to a boil and then let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- When you’re ready to serve, top with fresh cilantro, corn, avocado, and crushed tortilla chips.
Note: If you do use a jalapeno (or habanero pepper) wear gloves while you’re cutting it up! Wash your hands immediately after and be careful not to touch your eyes. The first time I cut a jalapeno, I seeded it with my bare hands and my fingers were burning the rest of the night!
Keywords: Vegan Tortilla Soup