This vegan chickpea tortilla soup is packed with flavor and deliciously spicy!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded* and diced (Optional)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28oz can of tomatoes
- 1 12oz can chickpeas
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 ears of corn (or 1 1/2 cups of frozen corn)
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro
- 1/2 avocado
- A handful of tortilla chips or make your own tortilla strips
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet for 30 seconds
- Add the diced onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno and cook over medium heat for 4 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, chickpeas, salt, and cumin.
- Bring to a boil and then let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- While that’s cooking, “grill” the corn, which for me, was heating up a little oil in a skillet and letting the corn roll around for about 7 minutes over medium heat, or until parts of the ear were brown.
- Let cool, and then use a sharp knife to cut the corn off the cob. Set aside.
- Wash and roughly chop the cilantro.
- Grab the avocado half and slice into thin strips.
- When you’re ready to serve, top with fresh cilantro, corn, avocado, and crushed tortilla chips.
Note: If you do use a jalapeno (or habanero pepper) wear gloves while you’re cutting it up! Wash your hands immediately after and be careful not to touch your eyes. The first time I cut a jalapeno, I seeded it with my bare hands and my fingers were burning the rest of the night!
Keywords: Vegan Tortilla Soup