Easiest Butternut Squash Soup
This is the easiest butternut squash soup recipe! It’s made with just 5 ingredients so you can enjoy creamy, delicious vegan soup in no time.
I was on a mission to create a butternut squash soup recipe that was simple but delicious and I think I nailed it! This soup only requires five ingredients and it’s vegan and gluten-free. I’m giving you a few ideas for how to spice it up, but this is a tasty soup that comes together with minimal effort!
Butternut Squash Soup Ingredients
- Butternut Squash– We can’t make this soup without it! Butternut squash is a hard squash that is in season in the fall and winter. It has a tough skin that needs to be removed before eating.
- Onion– A little onion adds a savory flavor to the base of this soup.
- Olive oil– This is necessary for softening the onion and enhancing the flavor of the soup.
- Vegetable broth– I recommend Edward & Son’s “Not-Chicken” broth which has a lot of flavor.
- Coconut milk– This adds the creaminess of the soup without any actual cream.
This soup does have a strong coconut flavor so if you don’t like coconut, I recommend substituting it with heavy cream or evaporated milk. I wanted to keep this recipe vegan and I like that coconut milk is easy to keep in my pantry because it lasts a long time. But if you’re not a fan of coconut, you probably won’t like the flavor of this soup. So substitute with dairy milk or cream if needed.
Additions & Toppings
This soup is delicious on its own but it also makes a great base for enhancements and toppings. Feel free to add a few cloves of minced garlic when you’re softening the onion for even more flavor. Try adding a pinch of smoked paprika or add a sprinkle of fresh sage. I like to fry fresh sage in butter until it gets slightly brown and crispy. It makes an incredible soup topping! You could also add a sprinkle of roasted pumpkin seeds or toss in a few whole wheat croutons.
How to Pick a Butternut Squash
For this soup recipe, you’ll need one small butternut squash that weighs 1 1/2- 2 lbs. Look for a squash that has the stem intact and is firm to the touch. The skin of the squash should be a dark beige color. Avoid green streaks, which means the squash was picked before it was fully ripened.
How to Cut Butternut Squash
Use a vegetable peeler to remove the thick, pale skin. Slice the neck of the squash into large planks, then cut the squash into 2″ pieces. For the bulb of the squash, cut it in half and use a spoon to remove the seeds. Slice the bottom into half moons then cut those pieces into cubes. Since we’re blending the squash in this recipe, it’s okay if the pieces aren’t exactly the same size.
How to Make Butternut Squash Soup
In a large pot or dutch oven, add the olive oil and onion and begin to cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes until the onion has softened.
Add the squash and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes until the squash has softened.
Add the coconut milk and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
How to Blend Soup without an Immersion Blender
If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a traditional blender. But keep in mind, if you’re blending soup in a blender, it’s important to allow steam to escape. That’s why blender lids have a vent. Be sure that vent is open! Then cover the lid with a towel to prevent soup from splattering. Do not try to use a bullet-style blender to blend hot soup or it can explode.
More Butternut Squash Recipes
- Butternut Squash and Chickpea Tacos
- Butternut Squash and Sage Pasta
- Butternut Squash Fries
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash
This is the easiest butternut squash soup recipe! It’s made with just 5 ingredients so you can enjoy a creamy, delicious vegan soup in no time.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 small butternut squash, (about 1 1/2lbs) peeled and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15oz can full fat coconut milk
- Optional: Smoked paprika, fresh sage.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, add the olive oil and onion and begin to cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes until the onion has softened.
- Add the squash and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes until the squash has softened.
- Add the coconut milk and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- If you don’t have an immersion blender, carefully transfer to a blender. Allow steam to escape through the vent in the blender lid and cover with a towel to prevent splattering. Blend until smooth.
- Add salt to taste. If desired, sprinkle with smoked paprika and/or fresh sage.
Keywords: Easiest Butternut Squash Soup