This wild rice and butternut squash salad makes a great Thanksgiving side dish because it’s colorful and a little unexpected. Since this dish is vegan and gluten-free, everyone can enjoy it!
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 2 medium butternut squash, cut into 1” cubes
- 1 pomegranate, seeded (about 3/4 cup of seeds)
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons agave (or honey, if not vegan)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Cook the wild rice according to package directions.
- Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spread the butternut squash into an even layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes then flipping the pieces over and continue to roast for 10-15 minutes. (You may need to roast it a bit longer, depending on your oven. Make sure it’s a bit brown on the sides.)
- Once both are cooked, spread out the cooked rice and butternut squash onto a baking tray or large piece of aluminum foil and let cool.
- Mix together the olive oil, honey, and vinegar.
- Toss all the ingredients together in a bowl and serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
This side dish is perfect served chilled or at room temperature.
Keywords: Wild Rice Salad