This side dish is perfect served chilled or at room temperature. It easily serves 12 as a side dish so you can halve the recipe if you don’t need that much!
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 6 cups water
- 2 medium butternut squash
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp agave (or honey, if not vegan)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 450.
- Bring the water to a boil and add the rice. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Peel and cube the butternut squash into 1 inch cubes.
- Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spread the squash into an even layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping once. (You may need to roast it a bit longer, depending on your oven. Make sure it’s a bit brown on the sides.)
- Once both are cooked, spread out the cooked rice and butternut squash onto foil and let cool.
- Remove the seeds from the pomegranate. (It’s easier if you do it while it’s submerged in water!)
- Mix together the olive oil, honey, and vinegar.
- Toss all the ingredients together in a bowl and serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
This side dish is perfect served chilled or at room temperature.
Keywords: Wild Rice Salad